G5 Crash Problem

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a Dual 2GHz G5 and on more that one occation the fans have gone nuts and the horrible overlay that comes on my screen that tells me I need to restart my computer in several different languages. Can someone tell me whats wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Kernel Panic!

Most common problem: 3rd party RAM.

You can search for "Kernel panic" for more information.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    i have the ram that shiped with my computer.so its not due to 3rd part ram.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    It's exactly the same with my 2.0 DP (June04), I just hope this never happens when I'm not around, it kind of sounds like the computer is ready for take off, fasten your seatbelt rightaway!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Kernel Panic!

Most common problem: 3rd party RAM.

You can search for "Kernel panic" for more information.

Hhhhmmm....

"4. RAM and motherboards are the least likely suspect in kernel panics"

http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    It depends on the kernel panic, if it only happens in one application, it's likely a software problem. If happens at different times, it's likely a RAM or hardware problem. One thing to start off with is to run the Apple Hardware Test to cross hardware off the list. Second, do you have Norton Utilities or Antivirus installed... get rid of it. Norton's got a bunch of start-up items and background task that seem to cause nothin' but problems.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Chris I bought mine in june too and you decribed the problem with the fans i have.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt C.

Chris I bought mine in june too and you decribed the problem with the fans i have.

Don't worry people. A kernel panic is not such a big deal, and the noise made by the fans is not dangerous for your computer. Let me explain : the fans of the G5 are controlled via software (which explains why there's a big fan noise during the first 2~3 seconds when you start the computer), so when all the system crashes (ie. when you've got a kernel panic), the fans can't be controlled anymore, and start running at full speed. Therefore, there's absolutely no relation between the speed of the fans when the kernel panics, and the temperature inside the computer. So don't worry!

If you wanna get even more convinced, try to plug your G5 to another Mac via Firewire, restart the G5 while pushing the T key at startup : the G5 will run in Target mode, and you'll here the fans running at max speed, because in Target mode, there's no running piece of software that regulates the fan speeds.

Anyway, having to cope with frequent kernel panics is an issue. Memory usually is the problem, but if you have some exotic devices plugged on your computer, drivers can create issues too. Historically, USB drivers have always been a pain in the ass to write for UNIX systems, and Mac OS X is a UNIX system... So check all the devices you plugged to your G5 (especially those plugged on the USB bus) and try to find the problem.

Two years ago, I had the same problem with some USB ADSL modem which randomly crashed my computer. The driver was the key, and I found a new and functional driver on the website of the modem maker... So check for updates.

Good luck
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    When I first got my Power Mac, it kernel panicked quite frequently and I noticed one of my Java apps was always running when it did it. Since I stopped using the pesky app, OS X has been rock solid. Amazing stuff.