G5 or Freescale Dual core processor for next Powerbook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When Apple makes the change from the current G4 processir, would you prefer a G5 or the Freescale dual processor with the on chip memory controller in the next powerbook?

Anybody have any clues if Apple intends to use the Freescale dual core chip?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

When Apple makes the change from the current G4 processir, would you prefer a G5 or the Freescale dual processor with the on chip memory controller in the next powerbook?

No clue here, but I'm not sure that Freescale's dual core chip is likely to come out in the near future... I really may be wrong on this one though!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I think the Freescale dual-core chip would actually be faster for today's applications, and maybe even consume less power, but if one wants to do some 64 bit computing (maybe some functions of OS X.4 "Tiger" would take advantage of that) or to use more than 4 GB of RAM (probably won't be possible in the next PB revision anyways) then a G5 will be necessary.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I could be wrong, but afaik the dual-core chip is not due out in mass production until summer at the earliest. Therefore, a Powerbook based on this CPU would likely be almost a year away. Therefore, I'd gladly take a 970-based book - however we still don't know if a feasible G5-CPU is available or if another iteration of the 744x-class is in the wings (my prediction).

Apple will think at least twice before going dual-core. If they follow this route, they can hardly go back to single-core should Freescale run into problems.

So, my prediction: next Powerbook will be 1.6Ghz or something 7448.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    dual core. it will be faster and consume little power. But the future is the G5 I think... especially with tiger.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Hey, maybe they could use the dual-core G4 in the eMac and the iBook. I think a dual-core notebook would be pretty neat. Another place a dual-core G4 might make sense is in some kind of multiple-processor Xserve.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    In a few years, every Macintosh will have a dual-core processor in it.

If Apple ships a new Powerbook in Q1 05, it'll either be a 1.5+ GHz G4 or G5 single core processor. Dual-core G4 processors won't be shipping until 2H 05, and if Apple wants to ship a machine with a dual-core G4, Q1 06 is probably the earliest they can ship it. Long ways to go.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I would defenately prefere to see a 970 somthing in a new PowerBook line, simply because the PowerMac uses the G5 ,this would enable all Mac software to be otimized for this CPU
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Yes of course, the next PB will have a FreeScale Dual-Core G4 -> 1H/2006

• Reply 9 of 11
    as THT notes, multi-core architectures are the future of all desktop machines, both IBM and freescale, both mac and PC. just a matter of time, currently looking like 2006.

re: the thread's central question (what we'd prefer, vs what will be), i would prefer to see the apple move right to the G5.

the next line of freescale chips is the easier path, being pin-compatible with existing G4 designs, and it's definitely nice to have freescale as a back-up in case IBM continues to struggle with tech details. but from everything i've read, it seems IBM has more ambitious and compelling designs for the future of the 9xx chips.

the "MPC8641D" mentioned in this infoworld article sounds like the G4 we've all been pinging for. RapidIO, dual DDR/DDR2, PCI express, etc... but we've been waiting for such for a long time from the motorolla camp, and IBM has already delivered some impressive improvements over the G4 in the currently shipping G5, vs the still vaporware MPC8641D (vaporware in the "believe it when i see it" context).

facts are:

- IBM is ahead of freescale at the present moment, eg: FSB, Ghz, 64-bit, etc...

- IBM is also going dual-core (if thinksecret "antares" article accurate).

- IBM has compelling future design goals, eg: SMT.

- IBM's primary market for the 9xx is more aligned with apple's market, eg: IBM's blade servers and linux boxes. afaik, freescale still focuses on the specialized embedded market (correct me if i'm wrong here).

again, nice to have both options and chip competition in freescale. i just see IBM increasing the gap between the two company's offerings with each year that passes.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

i just see IBM increasing the gap between the two company's offerings with each year that passes.

following up: FormatC2 posted a link in another thread that illustrates some of the advances IBM tech has made in chip design.

register article

The consequence is that IBM is currently able to deliver in line with the expectations of Moore's Law and will probably be able to do so for the next two generations of the PowerPC chip. In fact, in terms of this benchmark, IBM is delivering beyond the expectations of Moore's Law. While chip performance may have doubled every 18 months in the past, system performance has not and IBM has now delivered almost a tripling of system performance (and a 37 per cent price performance improvement). That is what the benchmark indicates.

And IBM is doing this at a time when its primary competitors are "feeling the heat". IBM has demonstrated that it can overcome the problem, for the moment at least. It will be interesting to see how Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Sun and Intel respond to this.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I'm hoping on a new low power chip for portables.