.mac Questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm considering signing up for a .mac account. I have some questions...

1. Is there any individual educational pricing for .mac?

2. Does it come with multiple e-mail accounts per subscription? i.e. can I have an e-mail address and my wife have a separate e-mail address on the same subscription?

3. How is .mac with Entourage? Does it work well?

I currently am paying for my own domain name and a 10MB e-mail box. Per year, that costs me about $50, half of .mac. The .mac subscription would give me a 50MB mail box, 200 MB iDisk and some web hosting to boot. Sounds like a good deal, BUT I really need to have the option of having two e-mail addresses on there. Does that cost extra? If so, the deal seems less attractive...

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

I'm considering signing up for a .mac account. I have some questions...

1. Is there any individual educational pricing for .mac?

2. Does it come with multiple e-mail accounts per subscription? i.e. can I have an e-mail address and my wife have a separate e-mail address on the same subscription?

3. How is .mac with Entourage? Does it work well?

I currently am paying for my own domain name and a 10MB e-mail box. Per year, that costs me about $50, half of .mac. The .mac subscription would give me a 50MB mail box, 200 MB iDisk and some web hosting to boot. Sounds like a good deal, BUT I really need to have the option of having two e-mail addresses on there. Does that cost extra? If so, the deal seems less attractive...

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1. No educational pricing, but I think Amazon has/had a rebate for it (I see links on www.macintouch.com all the time).

2. You can have multiple e-mails, costs extra ($10/per, I think).

3. .Mac mail works fine - it's just an IMAP mailbox.

One thing that makes .Mac worth the money for me is the tight integration into MacOS X. I like being able to sync my Address Book, calendars, bookmarks (if you use Safari), and all the iLife apps, esp. iPhoto, are well integrated into .Mac. I also use iDisk heavily, keeping all my school docs there. That way if my PB died (which it did last week) I don't lose anything but the hardware itself, and it's easy to keep things synchronized between my PB and my desktop Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    FYI DotMac is on sale today (11/26/04).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    $10 per/year? $10 per/month? for extra addresses?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    It's well worth it i like the fact that all my bookmarks, address book are available from ANY computer, and all my macs are synced automatically, saves time. website is a snap--people are just aw struck when i tell them it's soooo simple. back up is great also love it buy it use it.

homepage.mac.com/nofeer
  • Reply 5 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

$10 per/year? $10 per/month? for extra addresses?

$10 per year for each extra account (up to 10) and each one comes with another 50 MB email storage. You can also create email aliases - I haven't used them so I can't say for sure what they do, but you may want to check that out and see if it would work for you. You might be able to use that rather than purchase another account.