my wishlist for ARD 2.5 or ARD 3.0!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
One of my friends has a small marketing/publishing company and they use most macs and some PCs, so I went to his office and he was showing to me ARD 2.1 and the stuff he can do with it and he let me "play" with ARD for arround an hour, it was pretty cool!

here is my wishlist for ARD 2.5 or ARD 3.0.

- PLEASE, APPLE, REDO ARD GUI AS THE MACOS X SERVER APPS, LIKE WORKGROUP MANAGER!! THE METAL GUI IS OK FOR iLIFE APPS, BUT NOT FOR PROAPPS!! PLEASE, REMOVE FROM ARD THE METAL BRUSH INTERFASE!!

- Manage also by user, not only by computer name. ARD can control machines by the name of the Machine or by group of computers. I would like to be able to control by the user the user logged at the computer. imagine that I work in two computers, so the admin guy do not need to know the name of the computers I have assigned, just my username and ARD will update the computer to my needs.

- when a new computer is plugged into the network, ARD will discover it and updated it by asking the computer group and the possible users, no matter if it is a mac, unix, linux and windows. be able to select bootdisk for mac, be able to install no apple OS, like any linux distro or windows versions; distribute, windows services packs and updates delivies; linux updates and so on....

- More UNIX/Linux/Windows Friendly. Copy files / install aps to Unix/Linux/Windows boxes and be able to send Unix shell scripts to Unix/Linux boxes and execute batch files in windows boxes. Be able to forward any VNC display to a group of people, now , you could only forware mac clients to other mac clients. be able to asset manage windows/unix/linux boxes. I know this could be a lot of work, why do you will need a PC if a mac could do the work a lot better.

please, add to this list...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    On your second point, the solution is simply to create a group for your single user. Since you are already going to go to all the trouble of admining a single user, this will not make this more complicated. Workgroup Manager is made for large numbers of users, where group policies make sense.

You should also look into Macintosh Manger or Network Users on MacOS X Server for the ability to log n from any computer.

As to adding abilities to manage non-MacOS X Computers... that is just not in the cards. You can get some of the functionality from products like NetOctopus, I don't think that Apple should really take on this area.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    I would be happy if only remove the metal brush GUI. I think ARD should be similar to the Server Apps, like Workgruop Manager, raid admin, server monitor and server admin. Also, there the lack of GUI at ARD, PLEASE, REMOVE THE METAL BRUSH!!

see the image below to see the differences! I think the server admin apps are very appealing to the eyes and at the same time, they do a lot for the computer guy...

ard screenshot: [cesar's comment] UGLY

ARD Unix shell script window:

workgroup manager:

QTSS publisher:

server admin:

• Reply 3 of 4
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    How about a free single client version. I have 2 macs and would love to be able to control one from the other. Plus I want to eventually buy a third to run headless...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by TKN

How about a free single client version. I have 2 macs and would love to be able to control one from the other. Plus I want to eventually buy a third to run headless...

How does VNC not meet your needs?