v551 compatible with apple?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I know they sell a USB connection cable for this phone. However, I can't find any info on whether apple supports any of these motorola flip phones. Has Apple included the drivers for the motorola phones? I can't find shit worth of information on this topic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

I know they sell a USB connection cable for this phone. However, I can't find any info on whether apple supports any of these motorola flip phones. Has Apple included the drivers for the motorola phones? I can't find shit worth of information on this topic.

http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html

I have a V525, it works fine (except for the fact that it uses the cable and not BlueTooth, which was the whole point of me buying the phone, but that's another story). If the V551 is just a slightly modified V400/500/525/600, it might work. Also check out www.howardforums.com and ask there.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    So, you're saying that the bluetooth is not compatible with apple? I thought apple was all about bluetooth and shit? WTF
  • Reply 3 of 15
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    another post said to use onsync ($10) to sync with moto phones. it's a lot cheaper then their cable which is close to 79$

go to oncync.com

i'll be getting a v551 if nothing else comes in by christmas
  • Reply 4 of 15
    So does apple have bluetooth support for the v551 or etc moto phones?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I've heard that Moto and/or Apple have incomplete or wonky support for SyncML. Bluetooth itself isn't the problem.

Moving to Digital Hub.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

another post said to use onsync ($10) to sync with moto phones. it's a lot cheaper then their cable which is close to 79$

go to oncync.com

i'll be getting a v551 if nothing else comes in by christmas

Oh yeah, I can also vouch for OnSync too. I used it before iSync worked w/ my phone. He just released a new version (1.8).
  • Reply 7 of 15
    So will I or wont I be able to connect over bluetooth if I go out and by an adapter? I take it i should be able to do a wired connect at least... There has got to be a compatibility list somewhere...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    I own a v550, it is recognised by Apple BT, I can exchange sounds & video - but NOT support of iSync!.

therefor you need a usb cable?

hmm, I will look for onsync?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

I own a v550, it is recognised by Apple BT, I can exchange sounds & video - but NOT support of iSync!.

So did you get onsync and try it? i downloaded it ($10) but my phone v551 won't be here till friday. onsync offers a pda instructions and screen views to help with BT sync. I'll give my update as well
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

So did you get onsync and try it? i downloaded it ($10) but my phone v551 won't be here till friday. onsync offers a pda instructions and screen views to help with BT sync. I'll give my update as well

Yeah, I paid for and used it first. Gives you more control over how you sync (e.g. how you want the names to appear, what order, etc.). But one Apple updated iSync I just used that instead since it's more easier (I'm lazy), and I could sync calendars too.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

Yeah, I paid for and used it first. Gives you more control over how you sync (e.g. how you want the names to appear, what order, etc.). But one Apple updated iSync I just used that instead since it's more easier (I'm lazy), and I could sync calendars too.

did you need the pdf instructions from onsync or not??is it staight forward and should i be aware of any tricks?

thanks for you help
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

did you need the pdf instructions from onsync or not??is it staight forward and should i be aware of any tricks?

thanks for you help

What instructions?

Actually, I had some issues getting OnSync to talk to my phone at first (it uses the serial port emulation part of the BT protocol), but messing with it a while made it work (the software equivalent to jiggling the connectors). This was with the 1.0 version, though, so things are better now, later versions note improved compatibility w/ Moto phones. Works fine now.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

how did you do this, i tried with my v551 and didn't work, what are the steps

also for those that use the cable, how do you do that. i tried onsync and got it to work, but TEDIOUS
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html

I have a V525, it works fine (except for the fact that it uses the cable and not BlueTooth, which was the whole point of me buying the phone, but that's another story). If the V551 is just a slightly modified V400/500/525/600, it might work. Also check out www.howardforums.com and ask there.

How did you do it???

thanks
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

How did you do it???

thanks

Plug the cable in, fire up iSync, Devices menu -> Add Device...

You should be able to see the phone as a device you can add.

As for OnSync being tedious, it was only tedious the first time. I just check a bunch of addresses on the Address Book side of the and select "Sync selection to Mobile Device." From then on it keeps track of what you have and don't have on your phone vs. your address book.