Buy Airport Extreme Basestation???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As we all are aware it's that time of the year again and it's time to make a list of gifts for people to buy me. So here is my question (I can never make up my mind). I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router (802.11b) and a Linksys WAP11 (802.11b). I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Rev. B, an iBook G3 800Mhz (Airport Card), an iMac G4 800Mhz, and a HP Laptop with Centrino Tech. Should I get rid of my Linksys products now and get an Airport Extreme Basestation and/or Airport Express, or do I keep my current setup and get something else?? Thanks for all the input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why buy it if what you have now works fine?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I would recommend staying with what you have already.

If you must have faster wireless transfer speed, the best bet would be to get one of Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS routers. These can be had for less than $60 and $80 and will work fine with all your equipments. In addition, there are open source firmware options for these which allow tremendous flexibility for configuring them.

-- Mehdi --
  • Reply 3 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    If what you have works don't spend the money. Now if you want to listen to your music on your home stereo get the express not the base station.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I was just thinking of having an all Apple setup and have the extra features that comes with the Basestation. I am a computer science major yada yada and just do this stuff for fun, so I know all about the WRT54G 'upgrades' I just wanted some input from people that do have the Basestation and see if the features are worth it. Thanks for all the input so far. I appreciate it, Still a close poll though
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I recently bought a Linksys Wireless router that only showed a signal half the time from only one room away, so I boxxed that bastard up and went back to CompUSA and bought a Belkin that had a $40 mail in rebate (was originally $89.95) and it works like a champion and has range from hell. So my question for you is why spend $199.95 for the Apple branded Wireless router when the Belkin works just as well (was a snap to set up) and costs 75% less than the Apple Base Station? I went through the same delima and am completely happy with the Belkin.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I will say that the AE base station is rock steady. It has good signal strength and seldom varies, even after power outages. We also have a Linksys that has a signal that will cut out for no reason. If there was a power fail it always has to be reset to work. The only other benefit is the USB printer port. We use to use that all the time but now use a network printer that is connected to our router. I think that the AE base station should have at least 4 ethernet ports one is not enough.

reg