Skype/VoIP in Tiger's iChat?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Will the iChat version included in Tiger support VoIP? Are there any signs in the Developer Preview?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Will the iChat version included in Tiger support VoIP? Are there any signs in the Developer Preview?

Well, if you're chatting on teh InTarWeb by talking over iChat AV, technically, that's VoIP.

The new video codec rawks. Nice and smooth over broadband.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasonMcD

Well, if you're chatting on teh InTarWeb by talking over iChat AV, technically, that's VoIP.

The new video codec rawks. Nice and smooth over broadband.

Just read the Technology Brief and you are right, it does support SIP (one of the interim-standards). But can you make calls to other clients besides iChat AV and AOL Messanger?

I'd like to be able to use SIP gateways to make calls to regular phones over the internet.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Just read the Technology Brief and you are right, it does support SIP (one of the interim-standards). But can you make calls to other clients besides iChat AV and AOL Messanger?

I'd like to be able to use SIP gateways to make calls to regular phones over the internet.

Not yet. I don't think Skype can even do that, though I think there are a few programs out there that can. Right now, it's mostly those 10-10-220, and all those guys who are hogging the VoIP action. That's why those calls are so cheap. Voice is teeny tiny compared to, say, downloading an iTune or something. I bet they still make a killing.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    i think one thing that would be really cool to see in iChat AV would be the ability for one if it would tell me via icon when someone is logged onto aim via a mobile phone, and if that's the case you could "call" that phone from iChat AV.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasonMcD

Not yet. I don't think Skype can even do that, though I think there are a few programs out there that can. Right now, it's mostly those 10-10-220, and all those guys who are hogging the VoIP action. That's why those calls are so cheap. Voice is teeny tiny compared to, say, downloading an iTune or something. I bet they still make a killing.

I am sorry, but could you please explain what a 10-10-220 is? From all I have heard, Skype does offer calls to regular phone (it's called SkypeOut) and voice quality - which was my biggest concern due to the limits of the packet vs. line oriented approach - is reported to be as good as on a regular phone. I guess that once you have an upstream greater than 64KB/s (the same as one ISDN channel), it should be alright.

I wonder whether the voice compression used by Apple is compatible with the rest. If not they should broaden their support.

Since you can get regular phone numbers for incoming VoIP calls they could add answering machine capabilities .Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

I am sorry, but could you please explain what a 10-10-220 is? From all I have heard, Skype does offer calls to regular phone (it's called SkypeOut) and voice quality - which was my biggest concern due to the limits of the packet vs. line oriented approach - is reported to be as good as on a regular phone. I guess that once you have an upstream greater than 64KB/s (the same as one ISDN channel), it should be alright.

I wonder whether the voice compression used by Apple is compatible with the rest. If not they should broaden their support.

Since you can get regular phone numbers for incoming VoIP calls they could add answering machine capabilities .Mac.

Ahh. I guess I haven't been following Skype closely enough.

10-10-xxx are these commercials we have here in the states that push a prefix to dial for cheap calls. Basically, the 10-10-xxx prefixes route the calls through a SIP.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    As a Skype user, I can, indeed, confirm that you can use Skype to call regular phones, and the sound quality is very good. Of course, that quality is dependent on your connection but, to date, I've only had one wonky connection to a land-line (and that turned out to be a problem with Comcast's lines)

The one real quality drawback to Skype's Mac offering seems to be a lack of true audio duplexing. It's not a deal-breaker, by any means, but there definitely is a lack of fluidity in conversations.