Different (Hopefully) Twist on Soundtrack vs. Garageband Question:

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I own both and would like to create my own music to use in the wedding day documentaries I make using iMovie and several plug-ins.

I am about to teach myself one of these programs using the Apple Pro training Series books that I have for both.

I believe that both should work for what I need to do. (Maybe I am wrong in thinking that.) And in prior dicussions on the boards, it seems as though most advice would suggest that I learn Soundtrack to use for my purposes.

I know this will sound really stupid, but dang, the Garageband interface seems so much more inviting, colorful, etc, and fun to play around with. Is there any reason or reasons that I definitely should learn Sountrack instead of Garageband? The interface seems so much more intimidating in Soundtrack, much like Final Cut Pro does every time I pull it up....

P.S.--I know....I need to learn Final Cut Pro too when I find the time....And yes, I have the Apple Pro Training Series book for that too....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    you're kinda wasting your time. get logic express. soundtrack is slowly being eliminated. and garageband sucks.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you're kinda wasting your time. get logic express. soundtrack is slowly being eliminated. and garageband sucks.

Does Logic Express work with loops, etc. which is primarily be what I would be doing? Or with Logic Express does one need to "play and import" your own music?

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slackula

Does Logic Express work with loops, etc. which is primarily be what I would be doing? Or with Logic Express does one need to "play and import" your own music?

Thanks!

yes, it does loops. check out the features: link
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I doubt Soundtrack is being eliminated. You're correct it looks like Final Cut Pro because Soundtrack is aimed at non-musicians who want to add music tracks so it's UI is aimed at them. It cannot be too confusing.

Garageband is aimed at the musician who wants a scratchpad of sorts to create music which means recording live music as well as loops.

Neither will replace the other. Logic Express, while supporting loops, is still centered around a midi sequencer. My suggestions would be.

If you are primarily interested in scoring video..get soundtrack.

If you want to make music but won't use a midi keyboard get garageband.

Or get Logic Express if you want to play more tracks live into the sequencer.