network file access privilages

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have two users on my PowerBook G4, which is connected to my home network.

From WindowsXP, when I log into one user I am locked out of all his files except his Public File...which is the way I want it. When I log into the other user, I have Read access to all his files, which I do not want. How do I modify the settings for the second user so that ONLY his Public File can be opened?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bkuchar

I have two users on my PowerBook G4, which is connected to my home network.

From WindowsXP, when I log into one user I am locked out of all his files except his Public File...which is the way I want it. When I log into the other user, I have Read access to all his files, which I do not want. How do I modify the settings for the second user so that ONLY his Public File can be opened?

How are you connecting? SMB/FTP?

How have you shared the folders?

Have you modified the default permissions?

I would change the permissions using chmod for the second user do all home direc (Desktop/Library etc) were rwx------

and Public was rwxr-xr-x.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    dobby seems to be correct.

modify the folders you want to access with 'chmod 755 foldername' and the others with 'chmod 700 foldername'. or type 'man chmod' if you want to read the manpage.

a non cli option would be batchmod.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

How are you connecting? SMB/FTP?

How have you shared the folders?

Have you modified the default permissions?

I would change the permissions using chmod for the second user do all home direc (Desktop/Library etc) were rwx------

and Public was rwxr-xr-x.

Dobby.

Thanks for your help...it worked.

bkuchar
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by r3dx0r

dobby seems to be correct.

modify the folders you want to access with 'chmod 755 foldername' and the others with 'chmod 700 foldername'. or type 'man chmod' if you want to read the manpage.

a non cli option would be batchmod.

Thanks for your help...it worked.

bkuchar