iTMS UK Reported To EU For Overcharging

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The UK Office of Fair Trading has referred the UK iTMS to the European Commission because of the price difference between the UK and other European versions:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4065539.stm

Personally, I don't have a problem with what I'm charged at the UK iTMS - I think £0.79 (around ?1.15?) is actually quite reasonable. However, the OFT has a problem that people in the EU pay ?0.99, meaning that, at current rates, UK consumers are paying around ?0.15 too much. Oh dear... If this actually goes anywhere, I guess it could go two ways:

1) UK proces drop in line with other EU iTMS;

2) EU prices are raised in line with UK iTMS.

Either way, there will always be a problem with changing exchange rates .

The BBC report does make what I consider to be a mistake though - it says that:
Quote:

Which?, formerly the Consumer Association, also complained that the UK customers were barred from logging on to the French and German sites

Whilst you can't buy from the other sites, there's nothing to stop you browsing them . This could be good though, as it could mean that the iTMS is opened up so that anyone in Europe can buy from any other European catalogue .

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Dave, you beat me to it, and I agree with you with you about the U.K price as it stands but I'd download more if it was a bit cheaper.I'm sure this will get investigated, the E.U have shown their desire to take on other American computer giants after all.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    See, that's why the UK should have switched to euros.

It is also interesting how canadians pay almost half as much as brits.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Then Americans (due to the shitfaced dollar).

How so? Did they start making a GWB-faced dollar?