Virex 7.5.1 as downloaded from .Mac appears defective.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Yesterday I downloaded the new version of Virex(7.5.1) from .Mac and after restarting my screen froze and I could not enter OSX. Attempts at restarting were futile, and I had to spend 1 1/2 hrs. with Apple Technical Support at significant cost to remove this defective software from my Mac. Since my 2.5 G5 uses Bluetooth for keyboard and mouse, I was unable to safe boot, and had to go out and buy a wired mouse and keyboard in order to perform the necessary steps to fix my system.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I would also recommend everyone to consider holding on to a wired keyboard and/or mouse. Apparently Apple has not adequately planned on how to advise computer fixes if software problems arise without a wired system.

I would recommend all to stay away from Virex 7.5.1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Keeping a wired mouse + keyboard is a requirement, no matter your machine. There's always a chance that your desktop, laptop or whatever will fail to use your basic setup and you'll have to use another to fix it.

As to your question, I'd be surprised if Virex was to blame. Did you run the Bluetooth firmware update recently? That's a more likely culprit, as you mentioned a big problem was with your Bluetooth devices being recognized. Virex doesn't touch your Bluetooth stuff, so I can't figure out how it would be to blame.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Your thoughts on keeping a wired mouse and keyboard are well taken. The PowerMac however was not able to start up.........and froze just before the startup window finished it's circular movement after Virex 7.5.1 was downloaded and after restarting. I don't believe this had anything to do with Bluetooth. The Apple technicians had to put me thru many hoops in order to enable me to move Virex 7.5.1 to the trash, and after I did this, my Mac started up again.

There are also many discussions on the .Mac board concerning the same problems others are having with Virex 7.5.1. causing Macs to freeze.

I believe this is a serious problem with at least this version of the software.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I'm not sure why you would want to install virex in teh first place.

In all my time with a mac, I've never run into a problem with that. Apple almost always releases a patch, at least as fast as virex does before its a problem.

Plus, the best virus protection:

1) Don't Use Microsoft Software Products

2) Don't open email from people you don't know

3) Don't download files from untrusted sites

4) Keep your software up-to-date

You'll be fine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Well, I do think using anti-virus software is part of being a good internet citizen, er, in principle anyway. Unfortunately, Virex removed email scanning from 7.5 because it was destroying people's mailboxes. So the net worth of Virex is a bit dubious because it's only good for stuff that you've downloaded or put on some removable/exchangeable media. That's OK, but a Mac user would most likely pass a Windows virus around via email, when you don't catch that quiet .php attachment in that joke message you forwarded to all your friends. I've managed to catch this stuff, and I don't tend to push others' emails around too often anyway.

FWIW, I haven't had any real issues with Virex 7.5.1, except that the mechanism for ignoring certain volumes (my iDisk, my camera's CF card) is terribly inelegant. Oh, and of course, it doesn't scan your email, which is a big piece to leave out of an anti-virus solution.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    OH, so its basically useless then, and btw, I hate forwards (I don't send them, and I delete them, even from my mom)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    7.5.1 does have a problem. It has killed my new iMac G5 once and when I just reinstalled it again, after much diliberation, it just about did it again! No more Virex for me. I think I would rather have a virus if it is going to crap my comptuer out.

My BT mouse and keyboard are still NOT working as well as they were on a restart/shutdown like they were before. SUCKS!!

Eric