Setup Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey there. About a month ago I switched to a Mac and I love it. I pretty much have three uses for computing; recording (music), building web sites (and hopefully applications if I ever learn) and possibly looking into applications with xcode, and for school. Now, I was playing around with garageband in my powerbook (1.5GHz 512MB RAM) and it got me thinking about an article I read here on optimizing computers for recording (and so anything in that view).

Should I "lean down" my computer by getting rid of languages that I might not need and the other processes that it goes through? Should I create a separate user setup for my Recording Setup, or is it not worth it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Right now I have folders on my desktop with programs that I use a lot with each setup (recording, web, and school) and it seems to work out well right now. I'm just worried about CPU and disk useage, and although I may not be I have the feeling that it would bog it down more if I added more users (DAW for recording).

Is there any primer I could view with xcode and getting started with it?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Sorry, double post
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by iShawn

Hey there. About a month ago I switched to a Mac and I love it. I pretty much have three uses for computing; recording (music), building web sites (and hopefully applications if I ever learn) and possibly looking into applications with xcode, and for school. Now, I was playing around with garageband in my powerbook (1.5GHz 512MB RAM) and it got me thinking about an article I read here on optimizing computers for recording (and so anything in that view).

Should I "lean down" my computer by getting rid of languages that I might not need and the other processes that it goes through? Should I create a separate user setup for my Recording Setup, or is it not worth it?

yes defiantly get rid of the extra languages if you dont need them ( if you installed them from the get go that is.) Do a search for .lproj files that aren't english and delete them. It frees up a decent chunk of HD space, as far as processes go, the processes that are running under "root" user are required for normal use, from what Ive read, but Im not 100% sure. so I wont tell you to tun off certain ones. Heres a good link to give you an idea of what the major processes are that are running constantly.

http://www.westwind.com/reference/OS...processes.html