silly season begins

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Love this one ...and wouldn't it be great

http://www.orbitcast.com/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This is something I've speculated about for a little while too. Why compete when they're good complements? I imagine Apple would either create another OEM iPod a la the HP iPod or else they would get some chunk of change for subscriptions to Sirius. Hm, how would this work for Apple?

Right now, Doesn't Sirius use WMP or something for their broadcats over IP though? I would think that you'd want both over-the-air iPod reception and iTunes integration as well.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

Love this one ...and wouldn't it be great

http://www.orbitcast.com/

No, actually. As someone who is a satisfied subscriber to XM, I know a thing or two about satellite radio. It is great [with limitations] in a car. I see it as a gimmick as a portable music player. XM requires you to take an hour drive just to download your channels from the satellite. The signal is shielded by rain or heavy clouds. The signal is shielded by overpasses. The signal is shielded by the canopies over fuel pumps. Most certainly, the signal is shielded indoors. The XM2Go is supposed to download and save songs from the satellite, which will allow you to play them at your leisure. But, you have to be outdoors to download your music. I estimate that start-up is a two-hour operation, at least. If you have a lot of free time, then it may work for you. However, in the time that an XM2Go user can fill his player with music, the iTMS customer can fill several iPods.

I just don't see what Apple stands to gain from a partnership with Sirius. Compared to XM, Sirius has a smaller user base. Sirius also has lower quality sound. I have been a Howard Stern fan for 23 years, but my car ships with XM. I am certainly not going to swap cars just for Howard Stern.

If someone here has experience with portable satellite radio players that is differs from my speculation, I am anxious to hear about.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

No, actually. As someone who is a satisfied subscriber to XM, I know a thing or two about satellite radio. It is great [with limitations] in a car. I see it as a gimmick as a portable music player. XM requires you to take an hour drive just to download your channels from the satellite. The signal is shielded by rain or heavy clouds. The signal is shielded by overpasses. The signal is shielded by the canopies over fuel pumps. Most certainly, the signal is shielded indoors. The XM2Go is supposed to download and save songs from the satellite, which will allow you to play them at your leisure. But, you have to be outdoors to download your music. I estimate that start-up is a two-hour operation, at least. If you have a lot of free time, then it may work for you. However, in the time that an XM2Go user can fill his player with music, the iTMS customer can fill several iPods.

I just don't see what Apple stands to gain from a partnership with Sirius. Compared to XM, Sirius has a smaller user base. Sirius also has lower quality sound. I have been a Howard Stern fan for 23 years, but my car ships with XM. I am certainly not going to swap cars just for Howard Stern.

If someone here has experience with portable satellite radio players that is differs from my speculation, I am anxious to hear about.

Why were you required to take an hour drive to download channels? I activated my unit and it only took it 5 min. tops. Maybe because yours was integrated into your car and mine is a portable SkyFi unit. As far as sound quality they are both going to sound the same, but in depends on what you are listening to it with. For example if you listen to XM through your cars high quality sound system and then to sirius through one of the boomboxes then the XM is definantly going to sound better. Both satilite companies have all digital CD quality sound.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

Why were you required to take an hour drive to download channels? I activated my unit and it only took it 5 min. tops. Maybe because yours was integrated into your car and mine is a portable SkyFi unit. As far as sound quality they are both going to sound the same, but in depends on what you are listening to it with. For example if you listen to XM through your cars high quality sound system and then to sirius through one of the boomboxes then the XM is definantly going to sound better. Both satilite companies have all digital CD quality sound.

Macaddict16

The XM radio in my GM car worked as advertised. As for the quality of XM versus Sirius, it is well known that XM has better coverage and better sound quality. XM sound is excellent, but it does not rise to the level of CD quality. Sirius sound quality is much less than that. Also, XM has ground-based repeaters in many large metropolitan areas to mitigate the problem of blocked signal in urban canyons. Sirius may have installed repeaters, but I don't know.

I wonder if you are mixing two issues. Activating XM is about a five minute process, if that. Certain XM channels are always available. However, the service's complete selection is not available immediately upon activation. As I said in my previous post, I had to take a drive of about one hour for all of my channels to be set up. I just listened to those endless promotions on XM Preview (Channel 1) while the radio downloaded the set up. I cannot imagine that a drive along a rural freeway with my factory-installed XM radio antenna on the roof of my car would be anything less than the most efficient way to use the system.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

The XM radio in my GM car worked as advertised. As for the quality of XM versus Sirius, it is well known that XM has better coverage and better sound quality. XM sound is excellent, but it does not rise to the level of CD quality. Sirius sound quality is much less than that. Also, XM has ground-based repeaters in many large metropolitan areas to mitigate the problem of blocked signal in urban canyons. Sirius may have installed repeaters, but I don't know.

I wonder if you are mixing two issues. Activating XM is about a five minute process, if that. Certain XM channels are always available. However, the service's complete selection is not available immediately upon activation. As I said in my previous post, I had to take a drive of about one hour for all of my channels to be set up. I just listened to those endless promotions on XM Preview (Channel 1) while the radio downloaded the set up. I cannot imagine that a drive along a rural freeway with my factory-installed XM radio antenna on the roof of my car would be anything less than the most efficient way to use the system.

The factory instelled methods are not the most efficient way to have satellite radio. On every unit you buy from the store once it is activated (about 5 min.) you have access to every single station. No need to wait and hour before you can use it. If you do not believe that the sound is CD quality then what do you beleive the sound quality is?

Macaddict16
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

.... If you do not believe that the sound is CD quality then what do you beleive the sound quality is?

Macaddict16

It is not a matter of what I believe. XM uses lossy compression. If XM were CD-quality, XM would advertise its audio as CD-quality. It does not. Instead, it advertises its audio as "digital quality," which is meaningless.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    if you use a fm modulator to drive the sound to your car stereo then it will sound like c&*p. if you have it hardwired then the sound will be much improved.

at the very least use the cassette adapter as unelegant as it is, the sound will be better then fm modulators.

this has been my experience.

as always,

chung lee
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Based on the title of this thread I expected it to refer to the flurry of pre-MWSF nonsensical rumors (e.g. "Apple tablet CONFIRMED").

Satellite radio of any form always had a serious drawback for me, that it costs money. Based on what I've seen in this thread, it has serious technical problems as well.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Come on, cant this go in digital hub, or one of the iPod threads? Even though it's speculation of future hardware it would just be part of the iPod in which there are tons of threads on it already.