Linking shut PB w/ another computer?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I seem to remember reading a while back that it is possible to link a closed/off PB with another computer. When starting the other computer, the PB will be shown as an external hard drive, or something of the like?

Am I completely wrong about this or not? I did a few searches but couldn't find information about this again.

Can you fill me in?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    That's target disk mode. Hold down the T key while booting, then connect a Firewire cable between the two computers.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Does it work only between two Mac's, or can it be done with a Mac and a Windoze machine?

Also, must it be a firewire cable, or would a USB or Cat-5 network cable work as well?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Has to be firewire.

I can't see why it wouldn't work with a Windows machine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

Has to be firewire.

I can't see why it wouldn't work with a Windows machine.

i think the only issue would be the format of the volume (ie, formatted for mac vs a pc). can windows read mac-formatted volumes?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i think the only issue would be the format of the volume (ie, formatted for mac vs a pc). can windows read mac-formatted volumes?

Only with 3rd party software installed.

I wouldn't try this at all, given the possibility that Windows could phuckup my Mac hard drive. But if you're feeling adventurous, go for it, and let us know what happens!