Blinking globe on startup...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A friend of mine hooked up a lacie firewire drive to his G5 and then when he started it up he got a blinking globe...

What's the blinking globe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    This means that the startup disk is set for a network disk and there are no NetBoot servers available. You should go into your system preferences and choose startup disk. There you can change the startup disk to the internal drive if you so choose.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    this is interesting, the same thing happened to me about 1/1/2 months ago when i bought and used a lacie firewire drive, its the lacie D2 hard drive extreme with the cool look of a blue eye version of HAL. I called apple because i didnt know what it was either and they said just as the guy above said, go to preferences, startup disk, and then put it back to where it should be. The guy didnt believe me that i didnt change my startup disk, and so i am glad to know this has happened to others.....but not glad that it is happening. I also had a weird time for a while where the drive icon and contents would just up and disappear and i just had to wait for it to come back before i could unmount it. It happened for a few days and then just went away, now its all fine. I didnt do an update in the mean time of all that i dont think, but it might be wise to do an update of the lacie and OSX before the drive is full and backing it up will be a pain.