.Mail has decided to stop accessing my POP account!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
About two weeks ago I activated a .Mac account, and since then I have been using .Mail for both my accounts, it would access my Optusnet POP account, and also my .Mac account and deliver both to my .Mail box's... but since yesterday it has stopped accessing my Optusnet POP account. I can access my optusnet through the web, and I can see that there is mail there waiting for me to retrieve it... What is going on?

Is there some thing I should be doing?

iDunno

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Check to see if your Optusnet POP account is online in Mail. Mail sometimes changes an account to offline status if it can't connect to that account's mail server or if that server rejects your username or password due to some glitch.

I'm on my work PC now, so I can't verify the details, but here's something I posted in the past that seemed to work for someone with a similar problem:

You can check if an account is set to offline by going to Mail's mailbox drawer (View -> Show Mailboxes, if it isn't already open) and click on the "On My Mac" triangle to show your mail accounts. Accounts that are online are displayed in bold type. To change an account's online status, highlight it in the mail drawer and either right-click or control-click and select "Take Account Online". If the only option you see is "Take Account Offline", then the account is already online and your problem lies elsewhere, perhaps in the settings under Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Hmmm interesting... this all started when Mail asked me to enter my password for the pop account as it had been rejected... as you said can sometimes happen.

I opened the mailbox draw and clicked the arrow for on my Mac.

My optusnet account isn't bold, whereas my .mac account. But right clicking it only gives me the option of taking it off line... meaning it is already on line.

Looks like you are on the right track. Any more suggestions?

Thanks,

iDunno
  • Reply 3 of 3
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Cool, all sorted.

I took the pop account off line, and then back on line, and now it seems to be working fine.

Thanks.

iDunno