more iPhoto stuff

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK so I have a TON of duplicates in my library. Any one know a quick way to get rid of them. I'm talking in the thousands!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by 206amphib

OK so I have a TON of duplicates in my library. Any one know a quick way to get rid of them. I'm talking in the thousands!

i dont know of any apps to remove them from your library, but check versiontracker.com
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Define your terms. What do you mean by duplicates? One source of duplicates is to use iPhoto to edit files in your iPhoto library. It saves the originals in subfolders named Originals. Since I edited my photos on purpose and I don't want the originals, I just move them into the trash. On the occasion that I have two visible copies of the same photo, I delete one from the Library.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    rara Posts: 623member
    iPhoto Diet will remove duplicates.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    when I say duplicates, I mean I can look at the iPhoto "organize" window and there will be like three or four of the same picture in a row. I ran iPhoto diet and that didn't do it. I have a lot of duplicates, about 13,700 and change.....

There is no way I can go through that by hand.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

when I say duplicates, I mean I can look at the iPhoto "organize" window and there will be like three or four of the same picture in a row. I ran iPhoto diet and that didn't do it. I have a lot of duplicates, about 13,700 and change.....

There is no way I can go through that by hand.

You created them, you can delete them. You try going through the iPhoto file structure to identify the locations of your duplicates. That way, you can delete groups of duplicates en masse.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    that would work great except for the way that the folder structure in the library works. It's all numbers, for the dates, so you would still have to go through every picture.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, delete them from iPhoto's "Organize" view, using the cmd key to multiple select?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    that is what I may have to do. The problem is that there are about 13000 of them.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    How'd they get there, out of curiosity? An import process?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    yes, mostly my lack of understanding in the system. I had to back everything up on an external HD and when they imported that put one set on. Then I started dragging other folders in, not knowing that EVERY pic is in the library folder.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

yes, mostly my lack of understanding in the system. I had to back everything up on an external HD and when they imported that put one set on. Then I started dragging other folders in, not knowing that EVERY pic is in the library folder.

For God's sake man, you have answered your own question. Undo the mistakes you made. Problem solved.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    For God's sakes man, it's not that simple! I can't tell what is duplicate and what isn't without looking at the organize view, with all, well, now I have it down to 11,000 pics.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

For God's sakes man, it's not that simple! I can't tell what is duplicate and what isn't without looking at the organize view, with all, well, now I have it down to 11,000 pics.

First, if the files are duplicates, then it doesn't matter which you delete so long as you delete all but one of them. Second, if you understand the organization structure to the iPhoto library, it is easy to delete duplicates en masse. You seem to be trying to do everything within iPhoto. You forget that you have a much more powerful file management application called the Finder. You may also find that GraphicConverter's browse mode is of enormous benefit in helping you locate your duplicates.

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.