iMac G5 Disk Image question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, I've got the 20" iMac G5 and am having a ball. I've used computers since early 80's, but this is my first Apple computer. I have a question regarding the hard disk image that the iMac had when shipped from the factory.

As a PC user, I am paranoid of crashes and am used to having a "Norton Ghost" image of my hard drives in case of a disaster. This has been a savior numerous times, so I like to do this for my iMac too.

The only CDs supplied with the machine in the box are as follows:

- Mac OS X Install Disc 1 & 2 (v10.3.5)

- Additional Software & Apple Hardware Test

- Airport Extreme Software Installation

There are many apps, utilities and games preloaded on the machine (iLife 04, Quicken 2004, World Book, etc.) which I did not get the original CDs for. Also, a friend who has purchased OS X tells me that he got 4 CDs with his package! The iMac factory bundle seems to include two of the CDs only. What am I missing?

The big question is: Can I restore the iMac factory image to a hard drive (in case the hard drive in my iMac dies, or if I badly screw it up) using the CDs I have (listed above)?

Thanks,

-- Mehdi --

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you boot off the install CD, in the menu somewhere there is a program called Disk Utility. It cam make a Disk Image of your hard drive and save it to a external hard drive. You can use that for backups.

When you erase and reinstall everything, it should return your computer to its out-of-the-box condition. (All Programs, system files, etc.)

As for 4 CD's vs 2, some installation CD's are actually DVD's. I have one DVD for software installation and one for a hardware test when I got my G5, but the next software upgrade used 4 CD's.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

As for 4 CD's vs 2, some installation CD's are actually DVD's. I have one DVD for software installation and one for a hardware test when I got my G5, but the next software upgrade used 4 CD's.

You are right! I just inserted the install Discs and sure enough, they are DVDs! OK, that makes me feel much better. I'll use your suggestion to make an image copy.

Thanks for the help,

-- Mehdi --