Revisit the proper place for iPod threads?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
We have people complaining about getting their threads moved from Future Hardware into the Digital Hub forum. Rather than further derail a particular thread in the Digital Hub forum about this, I thought we could discuss some ideas here about how to handle iPod-related topics here.

The poll is only a starting point, and maybe people have other ideas. It's not meant to show the only options. Have any better ideas? Post 'em. Admins of course make the final decision. Ultimately, this is just a way to see whether the status quo is really a problem for people or not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I find that more and more threads that concern any aspect of the future of the company inevitably (because of the clutch evolutionary point we find ourselves at now) hit upon iPod market strategizing sooner or later. A sort of Podwin's Law, if you pardon the pun.

Lots of people seem to think that the iPod's present and speculated future role in the company makes it relevant when considering any and all aspects of its sister product lines (some people think it's a trojan horse for Mac, others that it's the Mac's replacement, ad infinitum).

I personally feel that the iPod is a new product that no one knows where it's going or even what it means. I think that we should be conservative and treat it not as a miracle cure/harbinger, but for what it is: a small piece of what might soon be a world-breaking digital hub, another chapter in the company's progression, but definitely just a part of the Digital Hub strategy. Some day, when the great DH unification occurs, we won't have to distinguish between Mac and Pod. But for now, I think, the conservative and level-headed thing is to do so.

My 2 sense.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    I don't think we should discuss iPods at all.

An Apple-branded MP3 player?! Who'd buy that?!!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I couldn't sensibly respond to the poll. The poll choices don't make sense.

A thread about current or past iPod models pretty much doesn't belong in Future Hardware no matter what.

The only question is where threads about future iPod speculation go. That's a toss up as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    That is why I voted for a new iPod forum. As the iPod grows we would want all iPod related stuff(like problems) to that forum. We could discuss future iPods present iPods and old iPods. Sort create an iPod heaven for all iPod users includng window users.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I also posted this in the other thread, but this is my reasoning for moving iPod speculation to Digital Hub:

From observation, a lot of iPod speculation hinged (and hinges) on integration with other DH devices, particularly cell phones. Since all posts about future cell phones, and nearly all posts about the present and future protocols and technologies around DH devices were there, I thought it would best to put the future iPod threads right in with the other threads that they feed from, with the goal of stimulating and informing the threads.

If the membership feels that the logic is wrong, or is no longer true, or isn't true enough, I'd certainly like to know, and make the necessary accommodations.

One other bit of policy that has been very successful for AI: We start forums in response to a flood of threads on a subtopic that threaten to overwhelm (or at least badly clutter) an existing forum. To date, iPod threads have been pretty focused, and my perception is that there's still so much room for evolution that it doesn't make sense to talk about iPods as an isolated phenomenon.

Anyway, let us know what you think.

Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I have a very strong opinion about this issue.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I have a very strong opinion about this issue.

Mine's stronger.