iPod connector: is it proprietary?

zozo
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a not terribly original hardware add-on for the iPod and that would connect to the bottom of it, through the charger port. It would be a hardware add-on.

Is there any documentation on it or someway to become an "ipod developer"?

thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

I have a not terribly original hardware add-on for the iPod and that would connect to the bottom of it, through the charger port. It would be a hardware add-on.

Is there any documentation on it or someway to become an "ipod developer"?

The folks at Alpine must have been able to get the necessary specs, since my iPod now plays nicely through the front end of my Alpine car stereo (the Alpine head-end controls the iPod, shows song info, lets you navigate playlists, etc., all without the user having to touch or look at the iPod). How much Alpine, and others developing similar products, have had to pay to licence that info, and under what terms -- that's another story.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Outside of the licensing issue, here's the information. You'll have to e-mail Apple.

http://developer.apple.com/hardware/ipod/

Quote:

iPod Accessory Developers

Interested in developing a accessory for the new iPod and need more information on the connectors and technical specifications? If so please send an email to [email protected]

• Reply 3 of 4
    MCQ beat me to it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    thanks

anyone want to invest a little money and time into a fun little project?