The Seinfeld DVDs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have not yet purchased this collection of the first three seasons of arguably the best sitcom ever. I did enjoy this article by Matthew Continetti over at The Weekly Standard.

Your thoughts on the dvds, or the show in general?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    As much as I love the old Seinfeld show, I can't bring myself to buy the DVDs since it's on Fox25 Boston twice a day for free.

What I am buying, however, are the Curb Your Enthusiasm DVDs (3rd series set coming out soon).

At first, I was like "WTF, this is just Seinfeld in California" but in fact it is entirely different, more subtle and over the top at the same time. Now when I watch Seinfeld, I see (appreciate) just how much Larry David put into that show. Jerry in fact is imitating Larry most of the time, almost in an in-joke kind of way, even in his mannerism (although George is supposed to basically "be" Larry, Larry's personality shows up in all the Seinfeld cast in bits and pieces).

I'm a Curb convert and I can't go back - I won't go back.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i never got into the series. i think i watched three episodes during its entire run, and one of those was the last one. my biggest problem is that i would always tune in the middle of it, and, well, a seinfeld episode is IMPOSSIBLE to follow/find funny if you tune in the middle, because you missed all the great set-up at the beginning (or in earlier episodes).

of course, this means i can buy the entire series and have it all be fresh, so who knows?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    The 100th (I hate best-of montage episodes. Hate, hate, hate.) and last episodes are to be missed. I love most of the rest but it's evident now, looking back, it's at it's height when Larry David was writing for it.

My mom despises the show though. Sad. Many people can't identify with that urban bitchiness and edginess. I can however.

"Bitch it forward" is my motto.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Your thoughts on the dvds, or the show in general?

It brings back not so fond recent memories whenever the Seinfeld DVD's are mentioned.

Loved the show, but I was one of a small group of people who got slammed getting the audio together for the DVD.

Not so much the English, but the foreigns were so messy.

7 days a week of audio editing brutality!

On the bright side, I did get to see some episodes that I had missed when the show was airing.