An Airtunes Server.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Picture This.

I drop my iPod on this dock and it streams using built in Airtunes Server to up to five clients ( Airport Express ) disseminated through the house.

This way I am free of iTunes to listen to all my library ( Its in the iPod ) that is currently streaming to the clients.

Also the dock charges the iPod and beams the currently playing tune using a laser light in the back.

The Dock has a built in 2 GB Flash Storage that is able to copy/store the currently steaming Playlist for later listening without the iPod.

No, the music stored wont be able to be copied back to iTunes and just serves as a local buffer. This way you can drop your ipod in start streaming and POP it out if you want.

Next time you pop it in it auto-magically syncs the previous streamed playlist to the actual one

The Dock is roughly the size of the current dock and also has power and Audio out connectors.

What do you think ? Here is a sketch.

PS: To Mods. I just realized this belongs in "Digital Hub" Forum.

Sorry for the mess up.

I am used to consider all future hardware in this forum.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

Picture This.

I drop my iPod on this dock and it streams using built in Airtunes Server to up to five clients ( Airport Express ) disseminated through the house.

This way I am free of iTunes to listen to all my library ( Its in the iPod ) that is currently streaming to the clients.

Also the dock charges the iPod and beams the currently playing tune using a laser light in the back.

The Dock has a built in 2 GB Flash Storage that is able to copy/store the currently steaming Playlist for later listening without the iPod.

No, the music stored wont be able to be copied back to iTunes and just serves as a local buffer. This way you can drop your ipod in start streaming and POP it out if you want.

Next time you pop it in it auto-magically syncs the previous streamed playlist to the actual one

The Dock is roughly the size of the current dock and also has power and Audio out connectors.

What do you think ? Here is a sketch.

PS: To Mods. I just realized this belongs in "Digital Hub" Forum.

Sorry for the mess up.

I am used to consider all future hardware in this forum.

I would buy one. I think that it is really cool. Is there a remote that works with this? I think it should show the current playing track as well as which airport expresses it is hooked up to. Looks really cool though.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 2 of 11
    nice idea, but way too complex. all apple has to do is make the ipod dock slighter deeper or wider, and there you go.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

nice idea, but way too complex. all apple has to do is make the ipod dock slighter deeper or wider, and there you go.

Thanks.

What do you mean by too complex. The functionality or the design ?

If you mean functionality , the setup would be made directly from iTunes, in a preference pane. There is no network setup since it is strickly RendezVous networking.

Here is a second sketch with iPod for size comparison and another old idea of a remote control.

• Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

Thanks.

What do you mean by too complex. The functionality or the design ?

If you mean functionality , the setup would be made directly from iTunes, in a preference pane. There is no network setup since it is strickly RendezVous networking.

Here is a second sketch with iPod for size comparison and another old idea of a remote control.

i was talking about design. it just seems like all that can be put in a cleaner package like the dock we already know and love.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    First, I like the concept. Alot. But this doesn't strike me as something Apple would do. I would expect to see it from a third party, but if Apple did it, it could help support AiportExpress sales.

Second. Great art. Seriously.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I would buy it and 4 or 5 airport express units also.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I would buy it and 4 or 5 airport express units also.

Thanks.

I would buy it , too ! :-)

I think Airtunes is a great concept and must expand itself in two major ways.

1- It has to bee iTunes independent.

If all my music is in my iPod, the iPod should be the player of choice for all situations. No more need for a Mac to stream to Airtunes clients.

2- It has to allow more than one player simultaneously in Airport range.

Just imagine plugging one iPod and having 5 rooms in your house filled with YOUR music. And each room with just your speakers of choice.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    doesn't seem very practical to me.

the dock exists to connect to a computer. if you own an iPod you own a computer. when and under what circumstances would you want to dock your iPod away from a computer?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

doesn't seem very practical to me.

the dock exists to connect to a computer. if you own an iPod you own a computer. when and under what circumstances would you want to dock your iPod away from a computer?

1. buy two docks

2. i llke my dock plugged into the wall and my theatre system so it looks pretty when friends are over.

3. if a dock could do all this stuff, i would definitly not be buying it jsut to hook an iPod up to my computer.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

1. buy two docks

2. i llke my dock plugged into the wall and my theatre system so it looks pretty when friends are over.

3. if a dock could do all this stuff, i would definitly not be buying it jsut to hook an iPod up to my computer.

I have that set up, too.

This dock is NOT meant to connect to a computer.

It´s meant to be a wireless music server for the iPod. NOT for itunes.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

1. buy two docks

how does this change that?

from what I can see it changes little to nothing