iMac G5 Speed tests

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
did 3 tests changing the processor performance option in the energy saving

Using Xbench, system settings are, iMac G5 1.6Ghz 512Mb RAM

1) processor performance on lowest Xbench score 76.90

2) processor performance on Auto Xbench score 97.25

3) processor performance on Highest Xbench score 131.29

interesting stuff, I was suprised that it actually made a difference, the frame rates improved the most on the low settings they were getting 80 ish fps and then on highest it was getting 150-160 fps, the fans come on more but its speeds up the computer so much.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    ahhh... this actually explains why my iBook has been doing so poorly compared to other iBooks... feels good to know that there's nothing wrong with my computer (except for a way to slow HD)

Even though your point wasn't to clarify my probs... thanks anyways...

:-)

P.S. on highest setting, my 12" iBook 1.2Ghz, 768mb comes out at 102.38... So I guess you have a 30% advantage, enjoy 8)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hmm, I got 157.25 with my iMac 1.8 512Mb 160Gb HD. If you take out the disk test it goes up to 174.49! I wonder why the disk test scores seem to be a bit low. Still, I'm happy with the overall performance. I would never run it less than highest performance because everything just seems to lag a bit on Automatic.

Edit: Well more to the point, the fan noise has never bothered me too much, I usually have music playing so why not have it as fast as it goes?? (which is nice and snappy I must say!) :-)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have a 1.8 G5 iMac with 1 gig ram and 160 gig hdd, performance is set on Auto and I have never felt it was too slow or lagged any.

I use a 2.4 or 2.8 ghz wintel 512 ram at work and my iMac seems snappier and of course, I get more done on it.

I will have to turn up the processor setting when I play nanosaur next time and see if there is a difference there.

Eric
  • Reply 4 of 6
    are those your overall scores?? where exactely do u go to change the processor performance, or is that just a g5 thing? im running a 1ghz emac, my overall score is 90.77. buggers, i need a new imac!!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I changed my processor speed this way:

System Preferences

Energy Saver

Options

Look at the bottom of the window.

Eric
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Interesting, my CPU test, on highest in the energy saver settings, gets 157.35, not bad.

(My mac spec is in my sig)