Apple and Motorola on track to intro iTunes-ready phone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An Apple VP has confirmed that the first half of 2005 will give way to an iTunes-ready cellphone that will be co-developed by Motorola.

Apple Computer and Motorola may soon show the mobile phone they are developing to play music purchased from Apple's iTunes online music store, reports Forbes.

"We've said we have something coming on this in the first half of 2005 and we're definitely on schedule for that. Hopefully you'll be able to see more about it soon," says Eddy Cue, vice president in charge of applications at Apple. "What we've talked about is a something that is valuable for the mass market," Cue added. "It has to be a phone in the middle-tier of the market, not a $500-tier phone. It has to be very seamless to use. And we're very happy with the results."

Cue reportedly declined to say whether Jobs would introduce the phone at next month's Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

Earlier this Summer, Motorola and Apple announced plans to enable music lovers to transfer their favorite songs from the iTunes jukebox on their PC or Mac, including songs from the iTunes Music Store, to Motorola?s next-generation "always with you" mobile handsets, via a USB or Bluetooth connection.

At the time, Apple stated that it would create a new iTunes mobile music player, which Motorola will make the standard music application on all their mass-market music phones, expected to be available in the first half of 2005.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    This could be a very big release, but would take time to gather steam in the market because too many mobile users are under existing contracts. That situation leads to the potential of the overseas market growing faster than the US market as the phone would probably be GSM (the world standard, except for the US) and users could simply switch their GSM card to the new phone. I would probably get one as I have to travel overseas and already have GSM cards for 2 countries.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    ATT/Cingular run GSM. It would be a very popular phone for those customers (like myself).
  • Reply 3 of 73
    yay i can finally get a good phone! (i was waiting for anything worthwhile, apple or non-apple)
  • Reply 4 of 73
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Just a guess: Apple won't release a flash-based iPod, but they will provide a phone with flash-based iTunes playback.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Just a guess: Apple won't release a flash-based iPod, but they will provide a phone with flash-based iTunes playback.

That's what my fumbled words were trying to guess in the thread about Apple buying flash.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    Quote:

That sounds very reasonable to me.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    even if with such Apple-Motorola phone get 3% marketshare thanks to Apple fanboys, it will be huge for Apple. And if this phone has also a cool factor -even samller- a la iPod, it can reach very good sales.

And Motorola is currently at 13,4 %...

Imagine : if Apple plateform (iTunes Mobile, and the co-developped mobile phone) reach 8 % of the mobile phone market, it can well become unstoppable. Adios WMA...
  • Reply 8 of 73
    I'm sure some here would consider the cellphone as another distraction for Apple.

Personally, I think its a natural move for Apple. I hope it doesnt spread itself too thin though. It's still got lots of work before it catches Sony in terms of range. For starters, Apple needs a digi-cam... though the camera inside the cellphone is a good start Wonder when a new Apple PDA will be released...
  • Reply 9 of 73
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    UNLOCKED gsm

PLeAsE!!!

at least as an option.

For the frequent overseas business traveller and the overseas cell tech savvy customer, the ability to switch out your sim card upon overseas arrival is critical. The price point difference of the non subsidized and thus unlocked phone would be well worth the difference and would make up for it in the first global roaming bill.

please, por favor, signome
  • Reply 10 of 73
    A bluetooth mobile phone that can connect to VoIP via iChat on a nearby Mac would be pretty groovy. Unfortunately, they'll need to aim this at Mac and PC users, and the economics of the mobile phone market means that the networks would have a hairy fit if the phones allowed you to bypass them.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:

That thought did cross my mind, but remember: Apple still only dominates about 60% of the overall mp3 player market, and the reason is they do not have a flash-based iPod. Personally, I haven't bought an iPod because I cannot justify the expense ('cause I really don't need it that bad, I've got a PBook, so technically I have my music library every where I go.) But if a cheaper, flash-based 1 giger came out, I'd be all over it.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

That thought did cross my mind, but remember: Apple still only dominates about 60% of the overall mp3 player market, and the reason is they do not have a flash-based iPod. Personally, I haven't bought an iPod because I cannot justify the expense ('cause I really don't need it that bad, I've got a PBook, so technically I have my music library every where I go.) But if a cheaper, flash-based 1 giger came out, I'd be all over it.

I agree with your reasoning and think it would increase market share further. But remember this is Apple: It's all about margins, not market share, with them. Putting out a cheap harddrive-less iPod would be like them selling a $500 "headless" computer. I hope they do it, but...
  • Reply 13 of 73
    I think Apple WILL do the so-called iPod micro. It only makes sense. They are in striking distance of owning the market. I expect they can sense it...feel it...smell it. I think iPod micro will close the gap for them.

iPhone/Motorola deal is yet another way to spread the market. Good move also.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i wish it includes wi fi like this one:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Page=1&Id=985
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by UnixPoet

For starters, Apple needs a digi-cam...

Apple was the first company to make digital cameras mainstream for consumers with their QuickTake. They invent the industry, and let the rest of the companies maintain it.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Viruses are starting to infect mobile devices that are based on Microsoft's mobile OS, and others. Imagine if Apple's phone ran a solid standards-based OS of their own.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    I have a sneaking suspision that there will be little apple involved in this phone...in other words the phone may have some watered down version of iTunes but I dont see some Apple/Motorola phone with iPod-like style being a product apple would put out as a joint venture. I hope so, but am very skeptical.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    If the rumors are true that the 'iPhone' has usb 2.0 out on the bottom of it... why not have a phone that can connect through usb 2.0 to my 40gb ipod and download songs over mobile web from itunes to my ipod... Seems reasonable.
  • Reply 19 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by debenm

If the rumors are true that the 'iPhone' has usb 2.0 out on the bottom of it... why not have a phone that can connect through usb 2.0 to my 40gb ipod and download songs over mobile web from itunes to my ipod... Seems reasonable.

Given that Apple couldn't be bothered doing the obvious thing and putting a USB connection into the iPod photo for connecting cameras, the chances of this happening are slim I'd say.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Given that Apple couldn't be bothered doing the obvious thing and putting a USB connection into the iPod photo for connecting cameras, the chances of this happening are slim I'd say.

Gotta keep the 3rd party dealers happy ~ belkin makes a good product in the media reader... although it kills battery like crazy.

But there is no 3rd party doing such a mobile iTunes download to the ipod.