Connecting a PalmT5 to OSX to access the internet

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have the Palm Tungsten T5 and would like to be able to access the web on it, which I think should be possible.

I have a wireless network of to Macs, one running 10.2.8 the other 10.3. The 10.3 iMac has a bluetooth adaptor, and I know it works as I can synchronise the Palm with the iMac using it.

However, whenever I try to setup the internet application the connection fails. I've tried having the firewall off, but beyond that I don't know what else to do.

Has anybody else tried and succeeded? If so, how?!

Cheers,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Here is a post I got off the Apple Discussion board some months ago. Using these instructions I was able to connect to the internet through my PB using BlueTooth. It was SLOOOW.

==========================================

Solution:

The necessary prerequisites for these are:

- Mac running OS X 10.2.x

- A palmª compatible Bluetooth Adapter.

- Internet connection.

- palmOneª Bluetooth enabled handheld.

- Internet applications for your handheld (e.g. WebPro URL: http://www.palmone.com/ph/software/webpro3/)

1. Enable Bluetooth on both your Mac and handheld. (Please refer to your Mac and handheld manual on how to enable Bluetooth on these devices.)

2. Pair your Mac with your Bluetooth enabled handheld by launching the ÒBluetooth Setup AssistantÓ under

/applications/utilities

Make sure that your Bluetooth enabled handheld appears in the ÒDevicesÓ pane under ÒSystem Preferences | BluetoothÓ as a trusted device.

3. Disable Bluetooth HotSync¨.

3.1 Launch palmª Desktop.

3.2 On the palmª Desktop menu choose ÒHotSync¨ Manager | SetupÓ

3.3 On the HotSync¨ Software Setup dialog under the ÒConnection SettingsÓ tab uncheck ÒBluetooth-pda-sync-port.Ó

4. Launch the Bluetooth Serial Utility again and turn on the ÒBluetooth-PDA-SyncÓ port. Note: If you received an error at this point check the checkbox and restart your Mac.

5. Turn off the Mac OS X firewall

System Preferences | Sharing | Firewall

Please refer to these documentation from Apple on the reason behind this setting.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107653

Also, WebPro needs port 8827 and 8775 open if you use WebProÕs default proxy server.

Note: Shutting down your firewall poses a security risk; we recommend that you enable back your firewall once youÕre done sharing your Internet connection.

6. Start Internet Sharing on your Mac.

System Preferences | Sharing | Internet

Check ÒBuilt-in EthernetÓ

7. Initiate the PPP server. Note: BSD is required for this (it is included in your Mac CD installation.)

7.1 Open ÒTerminalÓ under /applications/utilities

7.2 Type Òsudo lsÓ followed by your administrator password

7.3 Type Òsudo /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync 115200 noauth local passive proxyarp asyncmap 0 silent persist :10.0.1.201 &Ó (Please take note of the spaces in between)

7.4 If a response is given as Ò[1] 454Ó is given wait for several seconds and enter the string again or just press enter.

8. Create a new connection on your handheld.

8.1 Launch ÒPrefsÓ

8.2 Under ÒConnectionÓ create a new connection and named it appropriately as desired.

8.3 Set it as:

Connect to: PC

Via: Bluetooth

Device: (select the one on your Mac that you paired with your handheld.)

8.4 Tap ÒDetailsÓ set it as follows:

Speed: 115,200 bps

ÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊFlow Ctl: Automatic

8.5 Tap ÒOkÓ, ÒOkÓ, and then ÒDoneÓ

9. Create a Network Service on your handheld.

9.1 Launch ÒPrefsÓ

9.2 Under ÒCommunicationÓ tap ÒNewÓ:

Service: (name your new Network service as desired)

ÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊÊUser Name: leave it blank

Password: -Prompt-

Connection: (select your newly created connection in step 8)

9.3 Tap on ÒDetailsÓ configure as follows:

Connection type: PPP

Idle timeout: Never

Query DNS: Uncheck

Primary DNS: (your DNS server IP address [type Òmore /etc/resolv.confÓ in the terminal to get our DNS IP address)

IP Address: Automatic

Tap on ÒScriptÓ and type ÒEndÓ

9.4 Tap ÒOkÓ, ÒOkÓ, and then ÒDoneÓ

10. Try your Internet Connection Sharing.

iMac; Mac OS X (10.2.x); 15G G3 iPod
  • Reply 2 of 2
    blimey................

OK, I'll give it a go..............

Cheers,

david