G5 video card question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
HI

To coincide with the release of Tiger I am splashing out on a 2.5 G5, I have a question about the video card choice though.

I would like to run 2 monitors (probably dell 20" flat panels) at 1600x1200ea the question is "will i be able to run both monitors from the same card (not video mirroring) and which card to go for the Radeon 9800 XT with 256MB or the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL with 256MB."

If i want quality 3d graphics (gaming etc) I will simply unplug one of the monitors, but day to day work will be photoshop, director, flash illustrator and dreamweaver so the screen real-estate is more important than fps.

Any answers or alternative suggestions on cards or monitors would be much appreciated.

j.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    I would go for the 6800 Gt w/256mb.

Far as I know, the Radeon 9800XT is older, and thus wont run as well.

Others that know better feel free to correct, but as I recall, the 6800GT's are newer, and the exuivelant on the Radeon Side of the fence are the X800's.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Agreed with pyriX. The 6800GT is in the "newest generation" of GPUs, and should be excellent for OpenGL tasks. Just a sidenote, if you wanted to do portrait display (rotate 90 degrees) on the Dell displays, I don't think the drivers have that feature.

As far as dual displays, I think any of the cards offered on the PM could do it (even the 5200 Ultra).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The Geforce 6800 GT, for just $80 or so more, will give you cutting-edge hardware that will be new for a while.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Thanks guys.

The portrait thing is not something I can see myself using so that isn't a problem.

j.