Is this Mac fast enough for a Miglia PCI card?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My brother owns a Sawtooth G4 with 1.2 GHz Sonnet processor upgrade. At this moment, he uses the original AGP 16 MB VRAM graphics card.

Is this Mac fast enough for VHS and TV capturing or will he have frame drops?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    DV capturing has nothing to do with the video card and there should be plenty of processor speed to capture. (My first Final Cut Pro system had a 333Mhz processor) Just make sure the software you use is for hi machine and no other firewire/background apps are running since that can cause dropped framed.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Can I capture mpeg-4 at 100% quality without frame drops?

(when recording from TV)

With a G5 it is possible, but a G4 with 1.2 Ghz upgrade is a lot slower. So, I am not sure...

TIA
  • Reply 3 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Hmm... Hard to say. See, DV uses a simple CODEC so it can be recorded directly to disk. (Less CPU processes) If yo have to convert it to MPEG 4, it will use much more CPU. If your capture card uses a hardware MPEG4 compression, it will work fine, otherwise capture in DV and convert later if you don't have the processor speed to do both on the fly.

Check out Quicktime Broadcaster from apple's site. It can record and convert DV into MPEG 4 on the fly.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I own a miglia TV-DVR card and an eyeTV200 (external firewire)

I used my miglia on my old G4 DP800 and went directly to Mpeg 4

Miglia says it's fast enough, but I'd recommend an EyeTV 200 if you could afford it.

EyeTV's software goes directly to MPEG-2, which can be turned into DVDs or video CDs quickly (using Toast) and requires minimal processing power.

EyeTV also uses Titan TV, so you can just click on the show you want to record, instead of switching between TV guide and the programs window. It also has overscan and uses less processing power in general.

You can also use eyetv to pause live TV.

Miglia only does Mpeg 1 and mpeg 4 and is generally minimalist. You cannot pause live TV. Also, without overscan, when you pause it can look funky.

On the other hand, the eyeTV costs 4x as much.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    My brother and I tested the Miglia PCI card in his Sawtooth 1.2 GHz.

Picture quality was a little grainy compared with how the Miglia performed in a G5. But the quality was acceptable.

And I assume that the lesser quality that we saw on the monitor was due to the cheap 16 MB AGP video card.

We haven't burned the results on DVD yet.

• Reply 6 of 6
    RAILhead Design did a good test on that TV card last month

The author even posted a PDF/Rich Tect file as a guide on the website.

http://www.railheaddesign.com/