Seeking Slotload SuperDrive OEM Sources

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anybody know who makes the PowerBook Slotload SuperDrive? Anyone know who else makes a DVD-RW Slotload SuperDrive that might be faster? Several of us want to put one in our Cubes so we can finally do iDVD stuff from within our exiled models.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have read that this is being discussed somewhere on the web. But my source has forgotten where she read it.

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>Anybody know who makes the PowerBook Slotload SuperDrive? Anyone know who else makes a DVD-RW Slotload SuperDrive that might be faster? Several of us want to put one in our Cubes so we can finally do iDVD stuff from within our exiled models.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have read that this is being discussed somewhere on the web. But my source has forgotten where she read it.

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

It is as far as I know the only slot load DVDr that exists. I am sure however that this is sure to change, and may already have.

On another cube note did you see that they are going to make a dual 1.2 ghz motherboard available for installing in the cube?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Yes this SuperDrive will become a part of my SuperCube that I am assembling with the dual 1.2 GHz upgrade. I bought a second Cube recently just for the upgrade. Can you identify the manufacturer and model number?

[ 12-06-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    The DVD-R mechanism in the 1 GHz PowerBook is made by Matsushita/Panasonic. The part number is allegedly Matshita DVD-R UJ-815. You can see a picture of the drive mechanism at &lt;http://www.zdnet.co.jp/news/0210/03/nj00_pdvd.html&gt;. This mechanism is actually DVD-Multi, meaning that it can write to DVD-RAM as well as DVD-R and DVD-RW media. From what I've heard, however, support for the mechanisms DVD-RAM and DVD-RW capability does not currently exist in OS 9 or OS X.

Slot load SuperDrives are a new form factor that may have not reached the OEM market yet. I don't know who makes them yet. Anyone else on the list know the maker of the PowerBook slotload SuperDrives? Jenn's got a great idea. Until her post, I hadn't even thought it could be done. But now that she mentions it, why not? Just a matter of tracking down a RAW source and finding it on PriceWatch.com. On the downside, the ones used in the PowerBook are only 1x while the Pioneer DVR-105 tray loads are 4x. On the upside, 4x media is very expensive so far while 1x media is dirt cheap. So it's a time/money tradeoff to burn DVDs fast (costly) or slow (cheap). But getting a Slotload DVR inside our Cubes would finally allow us access to iDVD 2.1. That would be worth slow burns which are a lot faster than no burns. Of course we also have to worry about a slotload SuperDrive having a slot that matches the Cube's fixed slot position. Or we'll be running our Cube's outside the box just like Jenn's thinking!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Hrm. . . I've always wondered if it would be possible to knock up the bus speed of the cube to 133Mhz. . .
  • Reply 5 of 5
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    The new 17" APB has a new 2x DVD-R SuperDrive in it. Anyone know the manufacturer and part number of that yet?