Simple Mode

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there some way I can start up in an alternative mode, or kill all processes other than the ones I need to use one application. The reason I am thinking about this is for gigging with my iBook to get full power, reliability and simplicity from it by dedicating all processing power to NI Reaktor.

I'm quite happy using the command line although I know very little about it off by heart.

Currently I just quit all applications including the Finder.

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You can list processes through terminal by typing "ps aux" and it will list all processes with a process number. You can then type "kill x" where x is the process number.

An easier way to do it would be to open up a program called "Activity Monitor" which is located in "/Applications/Utilities"
  • Reply 2 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Glitch

An easier way to do it would be to open up a program called "Activity Monitor" which is located in "/Applications/Utilities"

Assuming he's running Panther.

As far as killing invisible processes, make sure you know what they do before killing them. You might end up in an odd state.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the advice, I had been wondering about that. How safe is it to experiment with killing processes? I presume that it will all be reset if I restart, and the worst thing that can happen is I get unexpectedly logged out.

Andrew
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yeah its totally safe to experiment killing processes, a quick restart and everythings back to normal. I do it all the time.