12 and 15" PBs and games

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How do these do with the higher end games? I know that I want to run a game that requires a 3D graphics card with 32 mb. Will this even run? Will it be slow and jumpy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 206amphib

How do these do with the higher end games? I know that I want to run a game that requires a 3D graphics card with 32 mb. Will this even run? Will it be slow and jumpy?

I play WarCraft III on my 12" PB 1.33Ghz model. With all graphics options turned to maximum quality, it plays great. Of course, when I switch to my Dual G5 with 20.1" display...the detail of onscreen actions looks even better because it's on such a bigger display.

-M

(edit: I thought I had a 1.25Ghz model...turns out it's actually 1.33Ghz)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 206amphib

My 15" PB, newest Combo model, ran Unreal Tournament 2004 demo unplayably. It's clear that the graphics card, a Radeon 9700 with 64mb, is good enough, so the bottleneck must be the processor. Going from my 1.33GHz to the maximum 1.5GHz available on PB gives a theoretical maximum +12% speed benefit. That would make no difference and would still be unplayable. I haven't tried other new 3D games. It's probably not the "fault" of the PB that UT runs bad, rather the fault of sloppy coding work in the Mac port, but the end result would seem to be that you can't really play UT on the PB.

The 12" PB could do equally well, or worse, depending on if the Geforce 5200 graphics or the CPU is a bottleneck in a given game.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I want to run command and conquor (sp?) generals. Anybody tried that?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    I play C&C Generals on my 15" PB 1.5Ghz. It plays well most of the time. If I'm on batteries and you get to a later part of a scenario with a lot of pieces, it slows down, but is still playable.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

My 15" PB, newest Combo model, ran Unreal Tournament 2004 demo unplayably.

The UT2004 demo runs half the speed of the full version, unless you're running the demo on a dual-processor Mac. Some sort of audio bug that was in the demo, but was fixed later.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The UT2004 demo runs half the speed of the full version, unless you're running the demo on a dual-processor Mac. Some sort of audio bug that was in the demo, but was fixed later.

OK, that explains it. 2x the speed and we're probably talking playable
  • Reply 7 of 7
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    I play Cand C on my 1.33 17" pb, and it works fine, with same cavaet as above. Get a lot of items on the screen and it can momentairly slow down. I do play with most graphic settings turned up on here. I also have Sim City 4, this is hard to play with graphic settings all turned up. I turn them down, some down, a couple off all the way to make it more beaerable. Really feel the need for a G5 processor on this.