TechTV is dead, long live TechTV

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I knew that it was only a matter of time for G4 and Comcast to fvck everything up when they took over TechTV. Here are a couple of the latest exposes of former G4 employees, Wil Wheaton, and Dan Huard. I really have no reason to watch this network any longer. Ever since Pat and Leo left TSS back during the San Fran days, the show and the network for that matter have been in serious decline. I hope G4 dies a slow, painful death.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I miss the old ZD/Techtv as well. I became a fan early in the Pat era of the Screensavers, and it seemed like each year brought changes for the worse for a fan of the hard tech/geeky stuff.

I hung in with TSS until the move to San Fran, and still watch X-play, but that's it. I loved Martin on TSS where his hip slacker persona was great playing off the geeks. I still think he's capable of being smart and funny, but Unscrewed is just the wrong forum for him.

It's really kinda sad, because so many of the personalites seemed like friends. Pat, Leo, Megan, and Kate in particular.

Having said all that, I can understand why the shift to focus on the "Gamer lifestyle" was made. A network has to make money, and comparing the multi-threading of the P4 and G5, or instructons for setting up multiple accounts in Outlook Express just won't draw the ratings.

The new direction may not either, but unfortunately the odds are always better when you aim for the lowest common denominator.

J
  • Reply 2 of 6
    To be honest - I never really watch anything on TechTV except "Unscrewed," but that show occassionally did have some interesting promos for new technology.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yea, I really liked the screen savers back when it was leo and patrick(though I didn't like patrick all that much, Leo more than made up for that) They had cool guests, fun chats about technology, and occasionally taught me something nifty about something.

One thing I particularly liked about the show was that, it never had a very 'professional' feel, in that, they made mistakes, ran out of time due to chatting about random BS, diverged from their format, chided sponsers, and generally were pretty fun. Though, that changed as the show progressed, it was still a fun show to watch.

Now, however. I can't relate to it at all. which is weird, because they replaced the old cast with hip youngsters not unlike myself.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I never watched the stuff, but if it had the right stuff on it, I'd watch. Problem is 1/5 of cool computer stuff is illegal. 1/5 is immoral. 1/5 so copyrighted you can't air it. 1/5 is boring as dirt. And the last 1/5 makes it to air. You can't run a network on 20% of the facts.... unless your fox news that is...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    Leo's been doing Call for Help up here in Canada for a while now.

Its definitely replaced TSS
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by HHogan

Leo's been doing Call for Help up here in Canada for a while now.

Its definitely replaced TSS

Yeah I remember reading that on Leo's site when it was in planning. How is it compared to the old CFH or TSS? I hope G4 gets him back to the US once their ratings die from the recent changes in programming.