Price cuts make Cinema Displays more affordable

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
True to previously published AppleInsider reports, Apple today reduced the price of all three of its flat panel Cinema Display offerings.

The 20-inch Cinema Display now fetches a mere $999, while the company's high definition 23-inch and 30-inch displays dropped to $1799 and $2999, respectively.

The price cuts represent a $300 reduction at the high and low end of the product line, along with a $200 markdown for the mid-range 23-inch display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Yes, Apple! Now if they'll just offer a 17" model too...
  • Reply 2 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I wonder what the implications of this are for the rumored cheapMac. Does this mean that a new display, say a $600 17", is coming? But if Jobs was going to introduce a new, smaller one at MacWorld, why wouldn't he just announce the price reductions on existing models at the same time?

My feeling is that this is going to be it. He's going to stick the 20" with the cheapMac, and with the price at sub-$1000, it won't be quite as strange. Still strange, but not quite as strange. This way Jobs doesn't have to talk about displays at MacWorld at all.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    £50 has been slashed from the iMac and PowerBook ranges over here... Only worked out because my dad has been pricing up iMacs recently. Houston, we have a convert.

We know the iMac isn't selling badly (and surely the PB isn't selling that badly either). Could this be down purely to cheaper display units (as the PowerMac's haven't been reduced that I remember) or are they getting an update? I would put the iMac drop down to screen prices and the PB drop down to an update.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    alephaleph Posts: 15member
    Checked all Apple prices in the Belgian store.

Every Apple computer , including the screens and the Xserve & RaID, became cheaper.

Prices in Euro are now approximately the same as in Dollars in the US store.

Seems I bought my iMac just three weeks to early.

But then again, I already had it during my two weeks Christmas holiday.

Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

£50 has been slashed from the iMac and PowerBook ranges over here... Only worked out because my dad has been pricing up iMacs recently. Houston, we have a convert.

We know the iMac isn't selling badly (and surely the PB isn't selling that badly either). Could this be down purely to cheaper display units (as the PowerMac's haven't been reduced that I remember) or are they getting an update? I would put the iMac drop down to screen prices and the PB drop down to an update.

• Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

It's not just the iMac and PB that have had reductions... iBook, Power Mac, eMac too . I wonder if this could be enough to convince my wife to get an iBook rather than a PC laptop... Did any more hardware get price drops in the US, or is this just restricted to the UK?

The price drops on the Cinema Displays are good too - looks like they are more in line with the competition now .

As for PB price drop reflecting an update, I would doubt it, this close to MWSF. Would be nice though .

Dave.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Abrey

It's not just the iMac and PB that have had reductions... iBook, Power Mac, eMac too . I wonder if this could be enough to convince my wife to get an iBook rather than a PC laptop... Did any more hardware get price drops in the US, or is this just restricted to the UK?

The price drops on the Cinema Displays are good too - looks like they are more in line with the competition now .

As for PB price drop reflecting an update, I would doubt it, this close to MWSF. Would be nice though .

Dave.

Wow, Apple actually adjusting their prices according to monetary conditions. That's so unlike them. For example, they never change the price of their computers except at specific intervals (Dell changes theirs like weekly).
  • Reply 7 of 38
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Wow, Apple actually adjusting their prices according to monetary conditions. That's so unlike them. For example, they never change the price of their computers except at specific intervals (Dell changes theirs like weekly).

With the dollar falling as steadily as it is, I'm not surprised that they needed to adjust more quickly.

Nice to see so many happy Europeans, though.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I wonder what the implications of this are for the rumored cheapMac. Does this mean that a new display, say a $600 17", is coming? ... My feeling is that this is going to be it. He's going to stick the 20" with the cheapMac, and with the price at sub-$1000, it won't be quite as strange. ...

Is the average person who's interested in the $499 computer going to pay more than that for the monitor? I doubt it. They're probably going to hook it up to a monitor they already own, or buy the cheapo LCD unit at Best Buy. If these things do exist, they're definitely aimed at PC converts who are willing to consider a low-priced Mac based on their good experience with their iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aleph

Checked all Apple prices in the Belgian store.

Every Apple computer , including the screens and the Xserve & RaID, became cheaper.

Prices in Euro are now approximately the same as in Dollars in the US store.

Seems I bought my iMac just three weeks to early.

But then again, I already had it during my two weeks Christmas holiday.

less - actually U.S. Imports become cheaper and cheaper nowadays.

BTW, i am planning my holidays. U.S. again, -

this time South East. Any recommendations?
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

With the dollar falling as steadily as it is, I'm not surprised that they needed to adjust more quickly.

Nice to see so many happy Europeans, though.

• Reply 11 of 38
    k28k28 Posts: 5member
    happy aussie as well !!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 38
    If i were not a guy with some intellectual facilities, i'd proclaim Apple is

gambling.

Look, now all people think, well that's it, no PM/PB/iMac/iBook updates

this time...
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spunkmeyer

Is the average person who's interested in the $499 computer going to pay more than that for the monitor? I doubt it. They're probably going to hook it up to a monitor they already own, or buy the cheapo LCD unit at Best Buy. If these things do exist, they're definitely aimed at PC converts who are willing to consider a low-priced Mac based on their good experience with their iPod.

There's no question about that. But they have to market it somehow, and I doubt when Steve is on stage he'll be using a fuzzy 1992 VGA CRT from his closet. And I think that is important. What's it going to be hooked up to at the Apple Stores? On the store.apple.com? In their ads?

I think this price drop makes it clear that they're NOT going to release a new display. Fine, they've just decided to punt and essentially encourage people to do exactly what you suggest - use their own displays or buy a cheapo from Dell or BestBuy. Good for Apple.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I just read that samsung created a 20" oled display that has 6 million + pixels.

I believe it's just an experimental model but still, t would be pretty sweet to

have. I also read that it has 5000 to 1 contrast ratio as well.

Does anyone else feel like there are going to be some major announcements

next week? Originally I thought otherwise but then all the news about

discounted montiors, updated xserves & the new xsan just exploded. It's like

they're freeing up room for the keynote.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

less - actually U.S. Imports become cheaper and cheaper nowadays.

BTW, i am planning my holidays. U.S. again, -

this time South East. Any recommendations?

Well, people say Savannah, GA is nice. And I can vouch that the Walmart in Fayetteville, NC should not be missed (although plan to wait if its saturday and you need to replace a tire).

And when looking for food, its always better to hit the roadside barbecue places than just your normal crappy restaurants. (Oh, and if you find lipstick on your coffee mug at the Wafflehouse, that's what they consider 'clean').
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Well, people say Savannah, GA is nice. And I can vouch that the Walmart in Fayetteville, NC should not be missed (although plan to wait if its saturday and you need to replace a tire).

And when looking for food, its always better to hit the roadside barbecue places than just your normal crappy restaurants. (Oh, and if you find lipstick on your coffee mug at the Wafflehouse, that's what they consider 'clean').

sounds nice, i mull over...
  • Reply 17 of 38
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

There's no question about that. But they have to market it somehow, and I doubt when Steve is on stage he'll be using a fuzzy 1992 VGA CRT from his closet. And I think that is important. What's it going to be hooked up to at the Apple Stores? On the store.apple.com? In their ads?

I think this price drop makes it clear that they're NOT going to release a new display. Fine, they've just decided to punt and essentially encourage people to do exactly what you suggest - use their own displays or buy a cheapo from Dell or BestBuy. Good for Apple.

What makes you think that just because they cut prices on the 20", 23" and 30" today that Jobs won't be introducing a new 17" display along with the new headless iMac at MW in a couple of weeks? Maybe the new 17" will have a white case that matches iPods and the new Mac. It would also differentiate it from the aluminum diplays for the Powermac G5.

White = iPods, iBook, iMac, and new headless Mac which are all consumer machines.

Aluminum = Powerbook, Powermac G5, and Cinema displays which are all pro machines.

Apple did a similar move with the 4th gen iPods. They cut prices on the 20 and 40 gig models in August and then debuted the iPod photo a month later.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    TWO 20" displays?

or

ONE 23" display?

:X
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

What makes you think that just because they cut prices on the 20", 23" and 30" today that Jobs won't be introducing a new 17" display along with the new headless iMac at MW in a couple of weeks?

Because if he was changing the entire Apple display lineup, he'd talk about them all at the same time. He'd talk about the current ones, show their prices, and then say they're adding one, and then show the price drops on the previous ones too. Think about it - it doesn't make sense at all to fiddle with the displays now and then do it again in a week. (Also, MacWorld is a week from today, not a couple of weeks.)

It's very clear that they did this before the keynote so they could avoid talking about displays altogether.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I'm pleased to see that Apple has done the right thing and reduced their UK prices in an attempt to restore pricing parity. The price difference had become so great that the prices weren't doing anybody any favours.

I for one will be splashing out on a new display shortly, and these price drops have put Apple back on the shortlist again.

It's also promising when Apple adjusts existing products before an Expo. Steve's almost certainly going to mention these price adjustments as part of his "prelude" rather than his "one more thing".

I'm actually really looking forward to this Expo ? I have a feeling that Apple is going to pull something "insanely great" out of the hat this time...