Samsung Release and Future of OLEDs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...501040025.html

According to this article, OLED's are 1000 times faster at responding than current LCD displays. In any case, what do you think the time frame is before we see Apple using OLED's in their display line? Do they have a partnership with Samsung? Or LG Electronics? Could 2005 be feasible? Or are we looking at 2006 as the earliest time frame? Are there any future Powerbook implications with this news? By the way, what resolution constitutes 6.22 million pixels? I know, lots of questions, but the OLED displays are quite intriguing to say the least. Any info, or speculation, that is would greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
  • Reply 2 of 13
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...501040025.html

According to this article, OLED's are 1000 times faster at responding than current LCD displays.

I know, lots of questions, but the OLED displays are quite intriguing to say the least. Any info, or speculation, that is would greatly be appreciated.

Don't quite understand that link in the post just above mine (a very poorly written 'about us' page is all I can make of it) but to answer some of marzetta7 questions...

- In any case, what do you think the time frame is before we see Apple using OLED's in their display line?

I'd say it'll still be a few years out (tho I hope it'll be less time than that)

- Do they have a partnership with Samsung? Or LG Electronics?

Apple has and/or had relationships with both companies IIRC...

- By the way, what resolution constitutes 6.22 million pixels?

Well given Apple's 30" LCD is just over 4 million pixels (2560x1600) and given this new display had a 16:10 aspect ratio I'd say 6.22 million pixels would translate into something in the neighborhood of 3150x1970 - quite impressive especially give the OLED display is what 22 inches?

Can't wait for this stuff to mature into consumer ready displays (not just cell phone sized stuff)

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 13
    OLEDs (and other similar technologies) are exciting, but are not ready for use in computer monitors (or TVs). The main reasons is that they are having problems with the lifetimes on the displays, specifically the blue emitters. The reason they are being used in cell phones is that the makers expect people to upgrade every couple of years (breakage, new features, battery dieing and just want to replace, etc) so it doesn't matter if the display doesn't last much longer, and the displays on cell phones get less usage than other uses.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    6.22 million pixels represents Red Green and Blue Pixels combined. If you divide 6.22 by 3 you get 2.07 then the resolution of the display is actually 1920 X 1080.

Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Don't quite understand that link in the post just above mine (a very poorly written 'about us' page is all I can make of it) but to answer some of marzetta7 questions...

- In any case, what do you think the time frame is before we see Apple using OLED's in their display line?

I'd say it'll still be a few years out (tho I hope it'll be less time than that)

- Do they have a partnership with Samsung? Or LG Electronics?

Apple has and/or had relationships with both companies IIRC...

- By the way, what resolution constitutes 6.22 million pixels?

Well given Apple's 30" LCD is just over 4 million pixels (2560x1600) and given this new display had a 16:10 aspect ratio I'd say 6.22 million pixels would translate into something in the neighborhood of 3150x1970 - quite impressive especially give the OLED display is what 22 inches?

Can't wait for this stuff to mature into consumer ready displays (not just cell phone sized stuff)

Dave

• Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by gpatri

6.22 million pixels represents Red Green and Blue Pixels combined. If you divide 6.22 by 3 you get 2.07 then the resolution of the display is actually 1920 X 1080.

How does Apple do it with the 30"? Apple says 'just over 4 million pixels' and it has a resolution of 2560x1600...

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

How does Apple do it with the 30"? Apple says 'just over 4 million pixels' and it has a resolution of 2560x1600...

Umm... are you really asking about the math?

2560 * 1600 = 4,096,000

If you are asking why don't people believe that the OLED display has 6.22 million pixels, then the answer is because:
    • the math doesn't work out nice for that number unless you first divide it by three

• this is marketing hype we are talking about and people want big numbers,

• it is unlikely that you would build your first model of an emerging technology that has had troubles scaling to large sizes larger than its competitor technologies that are not having the same difficulties (and are still not scaling that big). Especially not when the only why you are getting the advance is by making the new technology more like the old ones (strained silicon substrate).

• Reply 7 of 13
    Okay... I get it now... The way Samsung saying 6.22 million pixels would allow Apple to brag 12.28 million pixels for it's 30" display.

Understood...

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 13
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

OLEDs (and other similar technologies) are exciting, but are not ready for use in computer monitors (or TVs). The main reasons is that they are having problems with the lifetimes on the displays, specifically the blue emitters. The reason they are being used in cell phones is that the makers expect people to upgrade every couple of years (breakage, new features, battery dieing and just want to replace, etc) so it doesn't matter if the display doesn't last much longer, and the displays on cell phones get less usage than other uses.

Cell phones are to be the first devices making widespread use of OLEDs in part because of the small size (ease of manufacture), lower resolution (ease of manufacture) and other issues that will allow them to work out technical and manufacturing issues for larger screens. Cell phones are an ideal target because of the potential for better battery life and improved screen image even at an early stage of development...potential reduced costs don't hurt either.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by RBR

Cell phones are to be the first devices making widespread use of OLEDs in part because of the small size (ease of manufacture), lower resolution (ease of manufacture) and other issues that will allow them to work out technical and manufacturing issues for larger screens. Cell phones are an ideal target because of the potential for better battery life and improved screen image even at an early stage of development...potential reduced costs don't hurt either.

The main reasons that cell phones are first are:
    • an already expensive product so that the added expense is not really noticable... that it is a highly subsidized product (bought with a contract) really helps

• as you pointed out, a relatively small screen... this gets around many of the manufacturing issues that are hampering use in monitors

• a cell phone screen is only ocassionally used (in comparison to monitors or TVs) and cell phones are only expected to last for two years (average turnover).

The last point is actually the most important for OLEDs as they stand now. The blue pixels simply won't last much more than that. When that changes we might see OLED monitors (since the other problems look like they are being handled).
  • Reply 10 of 13
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gpatri

Or they just rounded off to 2 decimal places...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Or they just rounded off to 2 decimal places...

Or perhaps they are counting three pixels (RGB) for each effective pixel the way some digital cameras do.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    I remember reading on the website fo the English company that 'discovered' OLED's that they only had a lifespan of approx 5000 hours which is too short compared to the 10,000+ hours of a non OLED screen.

For home use a 5000 hour lifespan would suffice but considering I use my monitor for 12 hours each day at work I require a better lifespan.

Dobby.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

I remember reading on the website fo the English company that 'discovered' OLED's that they only had a lifespan of approx 5000 hours which is too short compared to the 10,000+ hours of a non OLED screen.

For home use a 5000 hour lifespan would suffice but considering I use my monitor for 12 hours each day at work I require a better lifespan.

Dobby.

The latest info that I have found is that the red and green pixels last beyond the 20,000 hours that is usually the metric that everyone is after, but the blue pixels are still below 1,000 hours. This all varies by the technologies involved, and the manufacturing processes, but the magic techniques/combinations have not yet been found.