Can you use FP iMac RAM on laptops?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking to max out on RAM on my FP iMac so I can finally go to Jaguar.

But I'm also thinking about a laptop in the future as well. Are these So-Dimms interchangable with a Titanium PB or an iBook?

I thought they were but in the pics I found on ramjet, they look completely different?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I think that the RAM chips for the laptops are not as long as the iMac RAM chips. You will have to get a different type of RAM for the laptop.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The RAM in the inner (non-user accessible) slot is a low profile SO-DIMM, and should fit the laptops. The outer RAM chip is a full sized DIMM (ala PowerMac, CRT iMac).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Upon further investigation, I believe you can use the smaller Powerbook RAM chip in the FP iMac. Obviously you can't go the other way if you purchased the larger sized one.

And of course, the smaller sized one is more expensive. Then again, it can be re-purposed down the road if and when I get a Powerbook.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Oops, I bunged that one up.

The outer slot that you can add RAM to yourself is a low profile SO-DIMM. This you can swap with a PowerBook later.

The inner slot, the one you are supposed to have a certified tech upgrade for you, is a full sized 168 pin chip. This is the same RAM you'd use in a newer CRT iMac, or a Quicksilver...

So if you didn't add any RAM yourself, that SO-DIMM slot will be empty. Toss a 512 in there, and you can remove it to use with your PowerBook later.

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>