G5 = Silent but not so quiet with GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

I got my new G5 and 30" monitor basically 3 days ago, and have the tower on my desk because it looks so fine. Anyhow, for what I do ambient sound isn't really an issue for me, but I can't help but notice the fan noise my G5 tower is producing.

On popping the hood - I seem to detect the noise is actually emanating from my GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL.

Obviously there is no accuracy to this examination so I am curious to people clarifying if my 6800 Ultra DDL is a noisy card in general?

Cheers + Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

Hey,

I got my new G5 and 30" monitor basically 3 days ago, and have the tower on my desk because it looks so fine. Anyhow, for what I do ambient sound isn't really an issue for me, but I can't help but notice the fan noise my G5 tower is producing.

On popping the hood - I seem to detect the noise is actually emanating from my GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL.

Obviously there is no accuracy to this examination so I am curious to people clarifying if my 6800 Ultra DDL is a noisy card in general?

Cheers + Thanks

yes it is a very noisy card. there were some threads about it when people first started getting them.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    How about the new X800? Anyone heard the noise

from this card?

I am buying a G5 + 30" in March, hopefully the

X800 is quiter and available.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I don't think the 6800 produces the majority of the fan noise by any means. Quiet in comparison. Processor fans can be noisey depending on your cpu speed and performances settings. The one that cools the memory controller heatsink is my "problem" fan. That one always ramps up and down with cpu activity.

the x800 could be louder since it is a single height card. could be quieter, but I think it would have similar cooling needs.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dirk gently

I don't think the 6800 produces the majority of the fan noise by any means. Quiet in comparison. Processor fans can be noisey depending on your cpu speed and performances settings. The one that cools the memory controller heatsink is my "problem" fan. That one always ramps up and down with cpu activity.

the x800 could be louder since it is a single height card. could be quieter, but I think it would have similar cooling needs.

Based on what was posted in the "quiet PC" thread, I am

guessing that unless you have a dual 2.5, then the graphics

card IS most of the noise. The dual 2.0 is supposed to

be dead quiet.

Usually smaller cards have less cooling requirements, not

more. I have been looking at PC reviews of the two cards

via google, and I think that the x800 will be quieter, but

I can't be sure because the PC market has many versions

of each of these cards.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    All I can tell you is the fan on the 6800 Ultra is a lot quieter than the fan on the OEM ATI 9800 card my G5 came with, that card put out a really annoying high pitched noise. To me the 6800 is a pleasure.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Get the X800. No excuse not to, unless you'll be running two 30 inchers.