Dual 2.5 - serious crash

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well...a couple of weeks ago I was updating the firmware on my dual 2.5 G5 and during the process it freaked out. As always I followed all the instructions to the letter, and at first things looked ok, but then it spat open the DVD drive and the fans kicked in. After it seized up I left it on, just in case, for a while. Then I tried the process again, which this time half-completed and that was it. Dead. This is why I *always* get AppleCare coverage.

I spoke to several Apple techs, the last of which was a senior one, who walked me through the process of testing things out, but it appeared that the firmware chip had fried.

I was then asked to take it into my local Apple Store (Chicago) which I did, but they said they couldn't help me as it was the holidays - just my luck I suppose. This thing is heavy to lug around, so after two attempts to drop it off there on different days I just brought it home and called Apple to arrange an on-site visit. This happened today, but the tech was sent the wrong replacement logic board, so tomorrow he'll be back...I hope.

So, my point here is that this is apparently the 4th dual 2.5 on which this particular tech has seen the firmware chip fried in the last couple of weeks by running the latest update. He has warned me NOT to update the firmware unless absolutely necessary, as this is a recurring issue. I told him I really had to do the update - my 2.5 had a nasty habit of falling asleep at the drop of a hat and losing everything in all the open apps. Hence my desire to stabilise it...

On a positive note, he is replacing my logic board, the dual processors AND the video card (which I told him I had had those weird issues with back in October). So, my G5 is sitting here in lots of pieces, and I had a chance to look at the dual 2.5 processors - wow, what an amazing looking piece of gear. Really impressive. The old ones are sitting here on my desk as I write this, while the new ones are in a sealed bag on the chair. This one would make a very cool mantlepiece ornament.

Ah well...hope it's fixed soon...