Sources: Apple never planned live stream from Macworld

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Rumors that Apple may have axed live coverage of Steve Jobs' opening Macworld keynote are bunk, AppleInsider has learned.

Apple's decision not to broadcast chief executive Steve Jobs' keynote presentation during next week's Macworld Expo was likely a result of pre-determined plans, and was not in retaliation to spoiled surprises, extremely reliable company sources said on Friday.

According to sources, live webcast video streams of events such as Jobs' keynote presentations, on average, are costly and yield few benefits to Apple as a company. As a result, in recent years Apple has scaled back on realtime webcasts in favor post-event video-on-demand steams, which reportedly costs the company much less.

Additionally, industry sources claim that preparations for live webcasts with mass appeal typically must be made well in advance of the event. Company sources believe such arrangements were never part of Apple's Macworld to-do list.

Sources further cite post-event streams and authorized product pages and press releases as more favorable avenues of news distribution for Apple -- eliminating the chaos and potential misinterpretations of news reported through Mac websites from realtime feeds.

"It's likely that we won't again see realtime event webcasts from Apple for the foreseeable future," said one informed source. "But this is not an indication that [Apple's] apparent decision not to stream this year's Macworld keynote resulted from recent media reports, nor was it a last minute decision."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    One word: Pay-Per-View

Like jack-o-lantern and mother-in-law are single words. I'd bet a lot of us Mac fans would pony up a few bucks for the privilege (all the financial types would be "investing" in the up-to-the-minute info).

Of course, the true faithful have paid thousands to be there live, but some of us just can't do it.

And, face it, even the worst Keynote in the past few years was not a disappointing as most Mike Tyson fights.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    I expect that there will be a lot of iSights at the keynote. :-)
  • Reply 3 of 88
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I still expect the keynote to be broadcast via satellite.

Just to note, the 2004 MacWorld quicktime stream link is no longer working from Apple's site of Apple Events. The link is there but does not work.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

One word: Pay-Per-View

Like jack-o-lantern and mother-in-law are single words. I'd bet a lot of us Mac fans would pony up a few bucks for the privilege (all the financial types would be "investing" in the up-to-the-minute info).

Of course, the true faithful have paid thousands to be there live, but some of us just can't do it.

And, face it, even the worst Keynote in the past few years was not a disappointing as most Mike Tyson fights.

If not paperview it could be a nice extra feature of the .mac subscription.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    This is such a bummer. As for logistics, Gates' CES Keynote on 1/3/2005 was live broadcast. With rumors that he would introduce Xbox2, combined with MS' userbase, I have to imagine the CES stream was far more costly to provide.

That being said, a Media Center 05 box locked up on him, and their new xbox racing game, Forza BSOD'd during the demo. If anything, Jobs may be afraid of similar snafus.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    Isn't this a bad thing for a computer company to do. One that's trying to convince us that Streaming QuickTime is fun and easy? I mean, if Apple can't afford it, then who can? Isn't technology like this supposed to be more accessible as time goes on? We've had live web casts in the past? Why stop now? Is Apple getting cheap?

I still think this is a bad move. These Keynotes are part of what makes us Apple geeks so loyal. They generate a certain energy. And let's face it, most of us just like to hear Steve Job's speak. He's an artist at public speaking.

Somebody was saying on Slashdot that these Keynotes are like the Superbowl for us. You can watch a tape of the game afterward, but it's just not the same after you've heard the results on the radio.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    Idiots!

Apple has never been hotter. and then this...
  • Reply 8 of 88
  • Reply 9 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Freg3000

MWSF '04 is still up.....

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf04/

04 was sooooo good to Apple, but all the hype now seems to be about 05. How strange
  • Reply 10 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by Freg3000

MWSF '04 is still up.....

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf04/

But the link is broken in the Apple Events Quicktime page.

Steve also said in the 2004 MWSF keynote, that there were over 60,000 broadband viewers watching the quicktime streaming of the event.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by OrbitPink

But the link is broken in the Apple Events Quicktime page.

Steve also said in the 2004 MWSF keynote, that there were over 60,000 broadband viewers watching the quicktime streaming of the event.

Actually it isn't. You just have to click on the picture rather than the link. Not sure how the link was broken. \
  • Reply 12 of 88
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Nice that Apple craps on its loyal fanbase.

I dare say a decent percentage of stream viewers go right to the Apple online store right after the keynote and buys something.

How about giving us a little something for free Apple?

Lord knows I have given you some serious cash over the years.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Nice that Apple craps on its loyal fanbase.

I dare say a decent percentage of stream viewers go right to the Apple online store right after the keynote and buys something.

How about giving us a little something for free Apple?

Lord knows I have given you some serious cash over the years.

You do realize, from the sounds of it anyway, that all this means is a delay of a (perhaps) a few hours before you can watch the on-demand stream, right?
  • Reply 14 of 88
    walexxwalexx Posts: 17member
    This really sux. I had planned to watch it live as I have done for the last few years and now this.

So much for its great QT technology where we have to watch a delayed stream.

In its attempt to get wider market appeal, Apple seems to be dumping on its loyal user base. The real mac users, the people so fanatical about the company that have all gone out there seeking switchers and indeed bringing them to the Mac flock.

As Mac users we a loyal lot. We dont ask for much (well maybe just a little), although we do expect it. The one thing we all look forward to is the thrill of a live MWSF. Its our yearly reward for our loyalty and our relentless pursuit of switching our friends, family and colleagues to this great platform.

Thanks for nothing Apple. I know its just a live stream, but to people like me, its the equivalent of the superbowl being pulled and shown the next day. There is no thrill if you know the result before watching the show .

This is the first time in my Mac life that I can honestly say Im really disappointed in Apple. MWSF is our Christmas, I guess weve all just been that there is no Santa Claus, well, thats certainly how it feels .
  • Reply 15 of 88
    walexxwalexx Posts: 17member
    Oops
  • Reply 16 of 88
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I agree, it's fucking dissapointing...if it's true. Wait til the end of Saturday to know for sure.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    There is no excuse for this. flabbergasted we can only ask why?

Why has Apple, of all shitty corporations, chosen this bean-counter approach to live-broadcasting??
  • Reply 18 of 88
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tyrihans

Idiots!

Apple has never been hotter. and then this...

Jesus, grow up people

It precisely because there will be more people interested in this keynote than ever before that,

a) They cannot afford any of the sort of cock-up that makes Gates and Ballmer look such twats every year.

b) They cannot afford the quality of the live stream to become the news story rather than the keynote itself.

c) They cannot allow Steve's 'charismatic' presentation to become the news story before all the appropriate press releases and web pages have been presented to the worlds media.

Apple are shooting for the stars these next couple of years and I guarantee that the news control is going to become UNBELIEVABLE. Why, THIS VERY STORY is a feed from Apple.

There will be no live keynotes from Apple ever again.
  • Reply 19 of 88
    Why the sudden change then? And why are you so sure of yourself? They had 60,000 people logged on to the streaming Keynote last year.

Over 60,000

That combined with those in live attendance is the superbowl.

(minus the millions watching on tv)

But, if you think about all of this. It's a fucking sales event for Apple. Surely they want to try to tap into that feeding frenzy that is the 60,000+ that are viewing the presentation?

Hell, if Apple got 10,000 people to buy something out of those 60,000 viewers, that's a lot of revenue.

That's why I call this rumor bunk. Apple will stream it or at least do the satellite deal. There's no reason not to do a satellite broadcast.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Jesus, grow up people

It precisely because there will be more people interested in this keynote than ever before that,

a) They cannot afford any of the sort of cock-up that makes Gates and Ballmer look such twats every year.

b) They cannot afford the quality of the live stream to become the news story rather than the keynote itself.

c) They cannot allow Steve's 'charismatic' presentation to become the news story before all the appropriate press releases and web pages have been presented to the worlds media.

Apple are shooting for the stars these next couple of years and I guarantee that the news control is going to become UNBELIEVABLE. Why, THIS VERY STORY is a feed from Apple.

There will be no live keynotes from Apple ever again.

I'm no communication-guru, but that explanation is the lamest ever. Millions are wating for the news from Apple. You just don't cut them off without a damn good reason. Not enough bandwith? By more. This is it. The single one venue Apple controls from start to finish. Use it...