CUBE Help Hard Drive Seagate

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I finally got around to upgrade my Hard Drive on my Apple Cube and got an 80 GB HD Ultra ATA /100 ST 380013A from Seagate. I installed the hard Drive and tried to install Panther but it won't install. The installer checks the CD and then it starts to install and then I get a software errors message. Please install agan. I tried to install it several times and I get the same message. I tried different settings on the jumper cables but it still does not work. I installed back the old drive 20 GB Maxtor (with panther) and it ran perfect. Im not sure if the hard Drive is set up wrong or Im doing something wrong during installation? This is the second HD I got because I thought something might be wrong with the first one. A step by step directions would be very helpful. Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Me and my son

Hello,

I finally got around to upgrade my Hard Drive on my Apple Cube and got an 80 GB HD Ultra ATA /100 ST 380013A from Seagate. I installed the hard Drive and tried to install Panther but it won't install. The installer checks the CD and then it starts to install and then I get a software errors message. Please install agan. I tried to install it several times and I get the same message. I tried different settings on the jumper cables but it still does not work. I installed back the old drive 20 GB Maxtor (with panther) and it ran perfect. Im not sure if the hard Drive is set up wrong or Im doing something wrong during installation? This is the second HD I got because I thought something might be wrong with the first one. A step by step directions would be very helpful. Thank you

did you format the new drive?

my cube is running a 80 gb hd (fujitsu) with no problems.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Im not sure, Please tell me how to do that. A Step by Step directions would be very helpful. Thank you
  • Reply 3 of 4
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Me and my son

Im not sure, Please tell me how to do that. A Step by Step directions would be very helpful. Thank you

When booted from the CD, under the installer menu, you can choose Disk

Utility, go there, then select your disk, and the Erase pane, now select format (you probably want Mac OS extenden (journaled) ) name the disk if you want and click erase...

Hope this helps

:-)

P.S. If you want to partition the disk choose the partition pane, but I see no reason to this (it has been discussed endlessly in these forums so do a search if you want to find out more)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The guys at Cubeowner.com helped me. I had a bad 128 Chip, after I tool the memory stick out It installed perfect with no problems. Thanks for your input. My Cube seems faster with new hard drive and it is so quiet.