UK members: OK to use an Aiport base station with ADSL?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to be getting ADSL (self install) in January and I wanted to know if an Aiport base station plays well with it?

So I'm going to have the ADSL ethernet box, plugged into my Aiport base station and let that share the connection to a laptop (wireless) and an old Mac via ethernet. Is this do-able?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I think if it is running via ethernet, then there is no problem. We do not have airport here, but our ADSL box is just plugged straight into our hub, no setting up apart from the ADSL router address in TCP/IP.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    what ADSL box do you have? I'm after a cheap, ethernet ADSL box that will work well with a mac...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Check out the latest UK Macworld They have a roundup of all the ADSL Ethernet routers available and the winner is available at dabs.com for £75 Thats what I've got and it works a charm....
  • Reply 4 of 9
    excellent! cheers for that
  • Reply 5 of 9
    if you get a network based router... ie it connect to the line and has an ethernet port. The computer you use is irrelavant.

I know from a few installs, BT are trying to push USB ones.... I dont like them as it ties your adsl connection to a single pc.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Gargoyle:

<strong>

I know from a few installs, BT are trying to push USB ones.... I dont like them as it ties your adsl connection to a single pc.

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I've got BT Broadband and they were offering an intel based USB router with the self-install package. This was a no go as I wanted to use it with my Airport Base Station.

I'm fairly sure that there was also a no-router option but for various highly-specific reasons it worked out cheaper for me to get the USB router and replace it with an ethernet one. There are plenty to choose from and the article mentioned above is probably up to date enough.

Anyways, my point is that depending on which particular part of BT you are speaking to, connecting an Airport Base Station is against the standard BT Broadband terms of service. Some of the customer service reps will say to use more than one computer you need to upgrade to a business deal which costs 3 or 4 times as much.

This is despite the fact that on a different website, with a different customer service number BT is trying to sell you a broadband connection alongside a wireless router and telling you that you can connect up to 4 computers to a home line (I wonder how they think they can police that?).

Just thought I'd mention this in case the trained monkies working for BT manage to confuse you.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by stupider...likeafox:

<strong>

Anyways, my point is that depending on which particular part of BT you are speaking to, connecting an Airport Base Station is against the standard BT Broadband terms of service. Some of the customer service reps will say to use more than one computer you need to upgrade to a business deal which costs 3 or 4 times as much.

This is despite the fact that on a different website, with a different customer service number BT is trying to sell you a broadband connection alongside a wireless router and telling you that you can connect up to 4 computers to a home line (I wonder how they think they can police that?).

Just thought I'd mention this in case the trained monkies working for BT manage to confuse you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

exactly why i was asking as i had heard these conflicting reports!

ethernet ADSL hub/router is what I'm after too...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by othello:

<strong>I'm going to be getting ADSL (self install) in January and I wanted to know if an Aiport base station plays well with it?

So I'm going to have the ADSL ethernet box, plugged into my Aiport base station and let that share the connection to a laptop (wireless) and an old Mac via ethernet. Is this do-able?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am not in the UK but this works fine for me. I am connecting to ADSL which is being run with PPPoE.

I just plug the ethernet cable from the ADSL modem

into the ABS and set the ABS to use PPPoE. It just connects and all is fine. It has the advantage that you get a built in firewall. The disadvantage that to run servers on your machine you have to fiddle with port

forwarding on the ABS.

Michael
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I am in the UK, and this is exactly what I'm doing, but in my case there is my flatmate's PC connected to the ABS. I'm on PIPEX, as there is no 12 month minimum period. It comes out at about £23.40/month including VAT.