What is XSAN

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am very confused about the XSAN file system that Apple has released.

What is so special about it? Who is it really for?

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Basically, it's a simple way to make a whole bunch of hard drives look like a single network drive. If you want more storage, you buy more disks, plug them in, and Xsan automagically make the "network drive" bigger.

Needless to say, it also tries to get all those drives working together as efficiently as possible.

SAN is short for "Storage Area Network," which just means that you have a whole bunch of storage systems hooked together on their own little network and presented to the main network as a single drive. An analogy: There are dozens, if not hundreds, of servers collectively serving Apple.com, but thanks to the web server equivalent of Xsan, they're all at the address 'www.apple.com'—so that for all the end user cares, Apple.com is served on a single machine named 'www'. All the work of juggling the loads between all the servers is done in the background automatically.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    This is also a case where: if you don't know what it is, you don't need it. XSan, just like XGrid, is for large installations, and is unlikely to have any direct impact on most people.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

This is also a case where: if you don't know what it is, you don't need it. XSan, just like XGrid, is for large installations, and is unlikely to have any direct impact on most people.

True, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to learn more about it. Just because I don't plan on using it doesn't mean that I don't want to learn more about the technology.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

This is also a case where: if you don't know what it is, you don't need it.

To often I find myself not needing something, but still desperately wanting it regardless.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

To often I find myself not needing something, but still desperately wanting it regardless.

Ahh... a true consumer. You are a salesman's/advertiser's dream.