Mac's and Mini Disk.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey I was just wondering if anyone thinks placing mini disk in my future Mac will be a problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    #1 what kind of mac

(power mac, iMac(LCD?), iBook?, PowerBook?, eMac?)

#2 what kind of MiniDisc?

(8" recordable CDs (Mini CDs) or MDs that you can play in an MD player)
  • Reply 2 of 13
    At the moment I'm asking if a eMac can and it would be recordable CDs (Mini CDs).
  • Reply 3 of 13
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    the 8-cm Cds ? sure. every mac with a tray-loading system accepts those disks.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    However, don't put anything other than a regular CD shaped disk into a slot loading Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha one of my friends put one in his slot loading imac, i had to open the whole thign up for him and then open the optical drive and take out the disc..needless to say that drive was messed up, there was actually stuff broken, i suppose maybe it got spun and went flying around or something
  • Reply 6 of 13
    As I remember, my slot-loading iMac does accept smaller size CD. I mean smaller round-shape one but not in other shape!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Do NOT place these in a slot-loading drive. You were lucky to get it to work at all... we've had several systems come into the shop where people used those things on the old iMacs and got them stuck.

As for tray-loading drives... well, be careful. For the most part, they'll work. But some of the new iMacs/eMacs draw the tray in extremely fast. At least one person I've heard of had a mini-cd get dislodged by this speedy tray, and jammed up the whole works.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    resres Posts: 711member
    This is one of my biggest complaints about the powerbooks. I want a tray loading drive so I can use mini CD-Rs for backup. They are the perfect size for the files that I deal with, and I would use them all the time.

I know some here think that the slot loading drives are sexier, but they are really way less functional then the trey loading drives, and I think that they look about the same.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Res:

<strong>This is one of my biggest complaints about the powerbooks. I want a tray loading drive so I can use mini CD-Rs for backup. They are the perfect size for the files that I deal with, and I would use them all the time.

I know some here think that the slot loading drives are sexier, but they are really way less functional then the trey loading drives, and I think that they look about the same.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Good point BUT how many people really use odd shaped CD's? I mean yes I have used say 1 or 2 in a lifetime but dont see the need. CD's are so god damm cheap why not just use a normal size CD even if you are only burning a MB or so!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Why? Because regular CD are big and bulky. Mini Disk are the coolest thing, they are so much easier to handle, cooler to look and are just a cheap are regular CD's.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    if that's your main goal you'd be better off getting one of those 128MB keychain drives. it would hold the data you need, and be small like you want.

if you wanted to give the files to someone else, again you'd be better served by regular sized cd's. not everyone's computer can take mini cd's, so for the best compatibility, you want something other than mini cd's.

i personally like the slot loading drives much more. cuts down on the amount of space you need to give your computer.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Hm? I will take you advice. I'll look into all the things available before I jump into the mini disk wagon. Must have some years yet before Mini Disk are as raged about as Regular CDs.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    8cm discs are part of the specification os defined for BOTH CD and DVD. And while we may laugh off the capacity of an 8cm CD, an 8cm DVD holds a very respectable 1.3-2.7GB of data (ss-ds). Not only that, but discs would be recordable in regular 12cm drives, just like 8cm CD's can be recorded in regular TRAY LOADING optical drives. Such a disc has definite applicability as a portable and interchangable music format (MP3), and for still and video cameras. Give it 2 years. The 8cm CD had the size but not the capacity, the 8cm DVD has both and all those snazzy slot loading macs with get left out in the cold.

As for business card CD's, I could give a shit about them, or odd shapes also, those are not part of the specification; 8cm discs are a part of it, and should be fully supported in every computer.

[ 12-31-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>