Am I a fool to think I can use iMovie with 256MB RAM?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I currently own a Alienware PC, but I really want to make movies with iMovie and iDVD. The 499 Mac Mini cought my eye, and I would upgrade to a super drive for $100 more.

So will iMovie run perfectly with only 256MB of RAM? or will it really chug? Im have over a gig of RAM in my alienware so im used to no stutter while using programs, so basically any slowdown while editing will catch my eye.

I don't want to spend too much, the reason I want this is because its only 600 Bucks for the SuperDrive and OSX....so adding more RAM for $50-$150 would defeat the whole purpose for me.

Also...is 40 GIG's enough to make movies? I would of course delete movies after making them (Burning them to DVD), but I don't want to run out of space with only a few movie's 'in the making' on there. I plan to make Surf Video's, so they wont be anything insanely long, probably around an hour MAX.

Thanks for any info you guys can shoot my way!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I think it would be pretty slow.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Well, going from 1 Gig to 256 will really suck. Get at least 512 MB for about $67 more. I know it sux and all... but seeing as you have only 1 slot, even if you bought third-party RAM you would have to take out the old one and put the new one in, at which point it would make it more expensive.

And it would void your warranty too. I'd get the RAM and the SuperDrive. I don't know if myself will get the SuperDrive as I plan to use an external dual layer DVD-RW, but I will definitely add more RAM to my Mac mini.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Thanks for the replies, Anyone else care to add anything?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NavyUSA

Thanks for the replies, Anyone else care to add anything?

So your a squid huh!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It'll work. I did it because I had one of my two 256 RAM modules slip out of place in my (800 Mhz) PowerBook, and I didn't realize it had happened for a few days. I noticed the difference, and I'd definitely recommend the extra $75 for the 512 (which actually isn't that horrible of a price, unlike the 1 GB upgrade). But it will work.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    rara Posts: 623member
    If the extra $75 or whatever it costs is a strain I'd just save up for a few months because it will make a big difference.

If you're in the Navy you might apply for a government or educational discount, too.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It will definitely suck with only 256MB RAM. I don't think you're a fool, rather, I think Apple is living in a fantasy land shipping new iMacs/Mac minis with only 256MB and pretending its fine.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I suppose I will have to plunk down the extra 75 on RAM. Also, I do plan to get the discount, which I think brings the RAM upgrade down 10 or so dollars.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Ok, thanks for the replies. I suppose I will have to plunk down the extra 75 on RAM. Also, I do plan to get the discount, which I think brings the RAM upgrade down 10 or so dollars.

I would go for the 512 upgrade too, but you definately don't have to. My dad is happily editing away on a G3 400 with 256 megs. Except when waiting for a title or an effect to render, it's indistinguishable from my G4 867 running on 768 megs.

As to the size of the drive, the installed software will probably soak up from 5-10 gigs of that 40. (I'm not too sure but for the sake of discussion) That will leave you about 30 gigs for video if you don't load up with too many photos or songs, etc. DV video is about 7 gigs per half hour so you can hold about 2 hours of source video on 30 gigs. Keep in mind that anything iMovie has to create video for like transitions, effects, or titles will need some space to be put too, so that will eat up some of that space. You've got the best idea of what kinds of projects you'll be doing so hopefully that'll give you enough info to choose. Also keep in mind that you can get the 1.25Ghz model with an 80 gig HD and get the space while still saving some cash.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Yes, I know right now $67 or whatever it is discounted seems like it makes it a lot more, and I know sometimes we can feel even $67. However, in a few months, the $67 won't have seemed like as much, when we wish we had it. You know what I mean. However, if it was really the factor that decided if you could have a Mac Mini or not, then I would say get the 256, if you had to. You could always buy a 512 stick in the future and have Apple Store install it, but that would combine, for a lot more than $67.

You can probably get buy with the 40 gigs of hard drive. You'll just have to delete your projects, once they are on the DVD.

I hope you enjoy your Mac Mini and iMovie. Macs and the iLife suite can be a lot of fun!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you CAN use iMovie with 256MB of ram. It'll be better with 512 for sure.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Again, thanks guys, you dono how much of a help you have been!

Much appreciated!