DVD: To Burn or not to Burn

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm about to order the MacMini, but I just can't decide whether or not to include a SuperDrive.

What are the pros of having a DVD burner?

Is there software to burn DVD movies?

Can data DVDs I burn be read with any run-of-the mill DVD-ROM?

Is Apple's DVD burner the best of the competing standards?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

I'm about to order the MacMini, but I just can't decide whether or not to include a SuperDrive.

well.....

the pros are obvious. you can burn dvds

there's this app called iDVD that burns movies.

i believe so

superdrive is not the best burner around, but i'm sure it's fine for your needs. as long as youre not pirating movies or doing pro work (which you obviously arent), the superdrive is great.

if you think you'll be burning dvds for any reason, get it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

I plan on buying an external firewire enclosure and then buying an internal DVD R+-W drive.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Remember that you may not be able to easily replace the built-in optical drive, because Apple really worked to cram it in there.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I think he means that he will be putting the internal drive into the firewire enclosure and use it as an external dvd burner - which is, what I plan on doing.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

I think he means that he will be putting the internal drive into the firewire enclosure and use it as an external dvd burner - which is, what I plan on doing.

What is wrong with the SuperDrive? Someone commented that it is not the best DVD burner - why not? Thanks
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

I also suggested this to two friends (one getting an iBook, the other the Mac mini). What I'm slightly wary about is the fact that iDVD apparently only works with internal drives without applying a hack.

Anyone got any experience with external drives and iDVD?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

What is wrong with the SuperDrive? Someone commented that it is not the best DVD burner - why not? Thanks

Stock superdrives from apple are usually really slow. For example, 4x write speeds for DVD+/-R (I think). Compare this to an external drive that can write DVDs at 16x.