Superdrive in Mac Mini ... finally worthy of its name...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Did anyone else notice that the 'Superdrive' in the new Mac Mini is not just a DVD-R drive...

According to the specs on Apple's site:

Quote:

Optional SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW): writes DVD-R discs at up to 4x speed, writes DVD-RW discs at up to 2x speed, writes DVD+R discs at up to 4x speed, writes DVD+RW discs at up to 2.4x speed, reads DVDs at up to 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 16x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 8x speed, reads CDs at up to 24x speed

I'll admit thats a bit slow on the write speeds, but ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME Apple put a multiformat DVD burner into its line up.

I always wondered what was so "super" about a drive that only wrote one DVD format. Now it looks like Apple has finally got a drive that is worthy of the name 'Superdrive'. Hopefully these drives will make their way into the next generation of PowerBooks and PowerMacs... its rather embarassing that they are outdone by their much younger sibling.

Also, what about a dual layer DVD drive... and what about Blu-Ray??? Come on Apple keep up with the market!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Apple "Superdrives" which could burn +R,+RW,-R,-RW...

DVR-106 (discontinued over a year ago)

DVR-107D (discontinued about 6 months ago)

DVR-117D (current drive in the Power Mac G5, DVR-108 gimped by firmware)

iMac G5's slot loading drive (don't know model number)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikes600

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Apple "Superdrives" which could burn +R,+RW,-R,-RW...

DVR-106 (discontinued over a year ago)

DVR-107D (discontinued about 6 months ago)

DVR-117D (current drive in the Power Mac G5, DVR-108 gimped by firmware)

iMac G5's slot loading drive (don't know model number)

Really??? Not according to the PowerBook 15" 1.5 Ghz I own, and the new iMac and PowerMac G5 that I've used...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Really??? Not according to the PowerBook 15" 1.5 Ghz I own, and the new iMac and PowerMac G5 that I've used...

The drives have in fact supported those formats for a while now, but it was something of an "open secret" for political reasons: Apple backed the minuses, not the plusses, so they only claimed -R and -RW compatibility.

Now that it looks like there's no winner, and it's just going to be a big mess, they're acknowledging compatibility with everything. But the drives are the same.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The drives have in fact supported those formats for a while now, but it was something of an "open secret" for political reasons: Apple backed the minuses, not the plusses, so they only claimed -R and -RW compatibility.

Now that it looks like there's no winner, and it's just going to be a big mess, they're acknowledging compatibility with everything. But the drives are the same.

Okay... but when I put a DVD+R into my PowerBook, it doesn't read it
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Okay... but when I put a DVD+R into my PowerBook, it doesn't read it

my +r's work.