I want to run a mini side by side with my PC at work...any way to have a switch box..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I want to use the same keyboard, mouse, display for both boxes. However, I want to be able to just hit a switch and swap to the other computer. Is there such a device availible?

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It's called a KVM. Check the Apple Store webpage for the Mac mini, and they list one right below it.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    You think I would have caught that.

Thanks!!!

Eric
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Or buy it in a pc store, only 40?

Linksys KVM2KIT 2-Port KVM Switch Kit
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by MATTI

Or buy it in a pc store, only 40?

Linksys KVM2KIT 2-Port KVM Switch Kit

You would then need the PS/2 to USB converter on the end of that to connect to the Mac Mini don't forget...
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Not to mention some kind of convertor for my pc monitor? Mac monitor's have a differnt looking connector instead of the "serial" looking cable I have on my pc monitor.

Eric
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Not to mention some kind of convertor for my pc monitor? Mac monitor's have a differnt looking connector instead of the "serial" looking cable I have on my pc monitor.

Eric

Do you have the apple studio display that used their ADC to connect to the computer? If so then yes you will need a DVI to ADC connector which you can find here.

Here
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I have a 19" flat panel Hyundai monitor at work on my Gateway PC. The monitor hook up on the mini looks very different than the por ton my video car on my gateway. Are PC monitor's capable of hooking into the mac with some adapter?

In the picture above, my hooks look like that on my PC stuff.

Eric
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Eric

very good remark, I didn't notice it!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    if you have this monitor here then it is a DVI Monitor which the Mac Mini has a port for on the back. All PC monitors are either DVI or VGA and the Mac Mini has both ports on the back of it.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    That is my monitor and I have both DVI and VGA. I use VGA currently.

The cable on the KVM switch above looks like a VGA connection. Wouldn't I need a VGA to KVM adapter?

Eric
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Eric

This is common misconception amung PC users. Macs come with an industry standard DVI connector. The Mac mini (all macs with DVI I think) comes with a DVI --> VGA adapter.

The DVI connector on the mini allows for the most flexibility for displays. Check out this link

Mac mini graphics-- check out the column on the right

Enjoy!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Thanks! It looks like I will be getting me a mini in a few weeks to run side by side with my work pc. Life is getting good about now.

Eric
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Picked up my KVM switch at CompUSA today. $99 got me a usb keyboard/mouse switch. I had to pay another $24 for the cables.

I am all set, just need to get a mini.

Thanks!

E
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Macs come with an industry standard DVI connector.

Didn't the older ones use an ADC connector, which was non-standard?

Belkin makes a KVM that supports USB, DVI, and audio, its pretty sweat but kind of pricey.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynameis

Didn't the older ones use an ADC connector, which was non-standard?

Belkin makes a KVM that supports USB, DVI, and audio, its pretty sweat but kind of pricey.

yeah, but even that was technically DVI and could be converted with a simple $20 adapter.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, ADC was just DVI + power + USB + FireWire. Very slick, but of course Apple wanted royalties on each plug anyone else used, so they didn't, so it died.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    skoozskooz Posts: 13member
    My need / desire is similar, so I am hoping someone here can respond. I have a first generation powerbook (15" screen, 400 mhz)

I would like to firewire the macmini to the powerbook, use the powerbook screen and keyboard, on the mac mini processor and harddrive (40 gig v. 10)

What software / firmware would need to be written to make that happen? I went to the genius bar and they said it was a no go, but it seems like it should be possible, and I know there are a LOT of well-made laptops that could get a new lease on life this way.

Thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    DVI is as common as muck on corporate PC's (well at our place). We have to buy expensive DVI KVM switch for these.

Dobby.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

DVI is as common as muck on corporate PC's (well at our place). We have to buy expensive DVI KVM switch for these.

Dobby.

I really like this KVM I just got for when my Mac Mini arrives. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...107-608&depa=0

It let use use your usb keyboard and mouse, and then 1 usb cable comes off the device to the computer. So if anything you are saving having to use both ports on the mac mini with input devices. It doesn't have an external power brick, it gets all the power of the computers USB bus. I really like it, and very small enough I can carry it around with me in my bookbag. (Like the Mac Mini)