Convince Me to Buy a Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I was a Mac guy exclusively until about two and a half years ago. At this point I really started to get interesting in computer hardware and building my own computer. I used XP a bit and realized how many leaps and bounds it made over the terrible Windows 98 that I always saw my friends using.

I was going into computer engineering, and assumed that I'd be better off with a PC due to software compatibility issues. I also really wanted to build my own computer, so after weighing the issues for a great deal of time, I decided to build my PC, and I loved it. Sure there were issues, but remember this was even before OS X so I was pretty darn happy with it (especially the price/performance part). I'm also quite proficient with computers, so Windows really works just fine for me, I don't have spyware or virus problems, simply because I know how to take care of my PC. Sure I shouldn't have to know, but the fact is it really isn't an issue for me

Anyway, onto the real issue. I've been wanting to get a laptop for quite a while and now that the new Centrino laptops are going to appear around the 19th, I'm finally ready to buy. However, I've always been a Final Cut Pro editor, and the only types of jobs I've really had involved editing videos in FCP. Over the summer I was able to work at a job editing two productions on a Dual 2Ghz G5, and really started to appreciate the quality of all the software made by apple.

I love the powerbook, but It's not very likely I'll buy one, because of a few issues. First of all, and most importantly, is the compatibility issue. I really need windows compatibility being a programming/electrical engineering student. I know about Virtual PC, but I just doubt the ability to be completely compatible or even fast enough. Second is the price, for slower hardware I'm really paying a price premium for the powerbook. I know it just reeks of a quality that you can't find in PC notebooks for far more expensive, but it's just hard to lay down over 1800 for a notebook right now (not interested in the 12 inch). And finally, I have problems with the screen resolution. I love having space, and unfortunately the powerbook doesn't offer any options for higher resolution. Sure it's the "optimal" resolution for the size, but the fact is I need to have a huge workspace for some of the work I do. Anyone think new powerbooks might add higher resolution as an option?

Anyway guys, if you've made it this far I applaud you. Any thoughs on why I should get a powerbook given my situation? I appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Stick with the PC laptop. Do you really need FCP for mobile work? If the answer is "yes", get a Powerbook. cut and dried.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hi,

i agree, stick to a pc notebook unless fcp is really that important to you in a portable. but, bear in mind that the display options on the powerbook are very good and if workspace is needed you can use an extra monitor for palettes and such.

complicated issue, i know, but actually its very simple. does a powerbook matcg your requirements? if it it is a workable solution go for it. they represent not just a great piece of engineering but the representation of cool too.

hope this hasnt confused the issue for you

rob
  • Reply 3 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Whatever you do, don't buy a PowerBook. I hear Dell is pretty good.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    my opinion is get the powerbook, but talk to experienced Apple friends and a reliable/recommended Apple dealer. explore your compatibility concerns with them.

the long-term benefits will far outweigh very valid but more short-term issues such as cost.

why don't you keep your PC around if your worried about compatibility issues? with a powerbook, you can explore your FCP editing, the burgeoning area of developing for Mac Os X, etc.

many technologies can be developed on Mac, especially internet, Java, etc.

i understand that you have your PC under control right now. but as you get more advanced in your studies, wouldn't you focus more and more on doing what you want to do? let your worries about viruses and defragging and adware cleaning fade to the background and you'll definitely spend more time kicking ass at college (and getting laid... just imagine your svelte new powerbook purring away on your desk... with some sexy iTunes hooked up to your subtle but warm speakers... chicks will be like, hmmm... that's kinda cool... ... you know, as opposed to a grey beige box with its cables and guts all spilled out all over the place ... they'll be like ah, just a geek like i guessed)

oh, 512mb at least for a sweet cruise, and also a 2nd monitor would be best to get that extra real estate, you don't have to buy an apple LCD. if your laptop had super duper big screen and resolution that would make it quite bulky.