Apple needs something

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't care what it is, Apple needs something that will match the stregnth of the iPod to start marketing. They can't live on iPod forever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I don't think many people realize how hard it is for any company to create a new Billion Dollar revenue addition to their lineup. Apple has been gifted by being in the right place at the right time.

Sounds easy but there's no need to take their eyes off the prize. The iPod/iTunes legacy is not yet complete.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by isomething

I don't care what it is, Apple needs something that will match the stregnth of the iPod to start marketing. They can't live on iPod forever.

Well, this being a forum for speculation, any ideas would be helpful.

Apple has plenty of time, given that iPod demand is still accelerating. And, well, if you look at the difference in size between a Mac mini and an iPod, give them a few years, and get Internet and wireless bandwidth up to the point where optical disks go the way of the floppy...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Well, this being a forum for speculation, any ideas would be helpful.

Apple has plenty of time, given that iPod demand is still accelerating. And, well, if you look at the difference in size between a Mac mini and an iPod, give them a few years, and get Internet and wireless bandwidth up to the point where optical disks go the way of the floppy...

I think Amorph is totally spot on with this one . The imac mini is the ipod (+3 yrs) is the newton is the pda we have all been waiting for. add an LCd to the top and a fuel cell and you have the absolute killer product.

In the mean time the mini mac will give apple a bit more marketshare and mindshare
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I've often thought about the tablet pc market. It's a small market like the MP3 player market was when the iPod came out. If Apple could make the same kind of bang into this market, that might be interesting.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    I think they just need a kick ass ad campaign for the Mac Mini. they need it to show off iLife and the Mac mini. No stupid Jeff Goldblum voice overs. They need to transition the iPod marketing to the Mac mini.

And has no one else mentioned that Rev B. will be in COLORS!!!!!

Think about that one for a second. Definately bringing back colors to the mac line.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    You think Steve Jobs reads these forums to get ideas?

That would be cool.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by isomething

You think Steve Jobs reads these forums to get ideas?

That would be cool.

I have it on good authority that Steve Jobs does read appleinsider. Although I hear he spends most of his time in AppleOutsider bitching.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Apple fanatics might not have liked it... but Apple needs to bring back commercials like the one where the Powermac G5 blew the guy away. I heard people talking about that one. They were convinced (but have surely forgotten by now). If you say its the fastest computer in the world... then its simply true for so many people.

Apple is very "cool". But Apple needs to look more MANLY... thats the way to make inroads. Teenage boys and young men control much of the market with their own purchases and those that they influences others to make. There is also a huge role that businesses play, but I can't speak to that.

----------------------------------

Here is the complete long term formula....

1) Market share creeps up to something respectable with Mac Mini, Tiger/iLife and iPod/Music strategy.

2) Take performance dominance with IBM that is undeniable and market this whenever possible. Make it the new "given" about the mac platform. Change it from "macs are good for graphics" and "apple makes iPods" to "macs are the fastest computers in the world".

3) Demo several of the latest 3D games in all Apple Stores on the biggest Displays and top of the line Powermacs with the best graphics cards. Put a multi button mouse with it. Maybe set aside a section just for this. Make their be lines of bored teenagers in the mall who want to play a sweet game on a huge screen. When i go to the stores now and want to experience the speed of the latest PowerMac... There is no good way to do it that is really quick and impressive. Doom3 and U2004 would be a very acceptable way.

4) More impressive 3D iTunes visualizations would help too. Polys are a must here.

5) Be more conscious of the graphics processor that ships with each and every machine. This is often the quickest and easiest way to discount a Mac.

6) Ship PowerMacs with one of these latest hottest 3D games.

7) [for 2-6] Get Steve involved. Get him talking to game developers. Get him to talk about games at stevenotes. Get him to see the importance. He can take it from there. This is the most important thing. But also the most difficult. Music and Movies get him pumped. Games do not... but he needs to fake it.

8} As more games are released for Macs, more young males become interested and start buying into a platform that is strong in many other aspects.

9) Their purchases as well as the halo of their influence helps to increase market share further.