apple online orders and sales tax

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If I purchase things from tigerdirect, amazon, and so on, there are no taxes charged I live in Indiana. It is my understanding that Apple store online charges tax even if it is not requierd, do they? and what about for education student orders, they are tax exempt by their nature are they not?

I have a strict budget, 50$ could make or break tghe deal...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i speak from experience here... the apple store will charge tax on all purchases, even educational. as of right now, no one is supposed to charge sales tax on internet orders if they don't have a physical presence within the state from which you are ordering. i think the reason why apple charges sales tax is that they have apple VARs in every state, even many university bookstores. and certainly any state that has an honest-to-goodness apple store counts.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Good answer rok.

To follow up, education purchases aren't tax-free. Have you ever gone to a store and told them you were a student and had them say "Oh OK then you don't have to pay sales tax." Of course, you could move to a sales-tax-free state like me.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i speak from experience here... the apple store will charge tax on all purchases, even educational. as of right now, no one is supposed to charge sales tax on internet orders if they don't have a physical presence within the state from which you are ordering. i think the reason why apple charges sales tax is that they have apple VARs in every state, even many university bookstores. and certainly any state that has an honest-to-goodness apple store counts.

ok, I guess I will suck it up and pay uncle sam...but this will give me a great excuse to go to indy to keystone mall apple store ROAD TRIP
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Why don't you buy from PowerMax or Small Dog Electronics?

Both are Apple Authorized Resellers and both do not charge sales tax.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cyloncylon Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Why don't you buy from PowerMax or Small Dog Electronics?

Both are Apple Authorized Resellers and both do not charge sales tax.

Of course you can't do build to order with them.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

Now that I look at it, the sales tax and the student discount come with in 10$ of cancelling eachother out, so in a way, i am avoiding tax...sort of
  • Reply 7 of 8
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cylon

You definitely can with PowerMax.

Observe.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

You definitely can with PowerMax.

Observe.

Almost every available BTO config is listed on smalldog.com, so in effect they have BTO as well.