Checking SuperDrive or ComboDrive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I am selling my computer-illiterate friend's titanium powerbook g4 on ebay and he doesn't know if its a SuperDrive or a ComboDrive, is there anyway (besides trying to burn a DVD) to find out which one it is?

Thanks

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Hi, I am selling my computer-illiterate friend's titanium powerbook g4 on ebay and he doesn't know if its a SuperDrive or a ComboDrive, is there anyway (besides trying to burn a DVD) to find out which one it is?

Thanks

Logan

Hi Logan.

Yes, you can check easily.

Apple Menu -> About This Mac > More Info... -> Hardware -> ATA

Then select the drive. Mine says CD-RW/DVD-ROM on Drive Type, which means ComboDrive. If he has a Superdrive, it will say DVD-RW or something similar. I hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Quote:

Thanks

Logan

you cant figure out if its a combo or superdrive and you're calling your friend computer-illiterate?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    I've tried that, but when i click more info, it opens system profile for a second and the icon bounces in the dock then closes.

whats the problem?

Logan
  • Reply 4 of 16
    regreg Posts: 832member
    An alternate method is Apps / Utilities / System Profiler. he might just have a broken link, so he should run disk utilities.

This is what mine shows for a super drive.

ATA-3 Bus:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815:

ManufacturertMATSHITA

ModeltMATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815

RevisiontDWDB

Serial Numbert

Drive TypetCD-RW/DVD-RW

Disc BurningtApple Supported/Shipped

Removable MediatYes

Detachable DrivetNo

ProtocoltATAPI

Unit Numbert0

Socket TypetInternal

reg
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Oh boy, ok i tried going to the disk utility but the same thing happens, the icon bounces a few times in the dock then closes, the program doesnt even open. I recently reformatted his drive and reinstalled OS X 10.2 but for some reason system profiler isnt even in the utilities folder and the disk utility doesnt work... ne way to fix this?

Logan
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

you cant figure out if its a combo or superdrive and you're calling your friend computer-illiterate?

Harsh man... Harsh...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Reboot from the installer disc.

Don't install anything, but go to the menu and you'll see Disk Utility. Run that.

Now it's running off the CD and you can repair the drive and permissions.

Then, get back online and run software update so you have the latest version possible.

Then see if System Profiler works.

---

Or just buy Panther.

---

Doesn't he have his receipt for crying out loud? How did he buy it, from a van in front of a high school?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Ok, I've done all that suggested, now Disk Utility works. Still no System Profile in the Utilities folder, is there a way i can download it?

Thanks

Logan
  • Reply 9 of 16
    What I mean is: is there anyway to get system profiler back on the machine by downloading it from some website or am I doing something wrong?

Logan
  • Reply 10 of 16
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    *double-post*
  • Reply 11 of 16
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    There should be a sticker somewhere on/in the computer that has the original configuration's basic info. On my iBook, it's under the keyboard. The drive type should be listed last.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Hmm, i dont have anything like that on mine.. ne thing else?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    regreg Posts: 832member
    On the 17 pb, turn it over. Remove the battery and there is the sticker on the right side. The second line will say if it is Super or Combo Drive. At least mine does.

reg
  • Reply 14 of 16
    this is the titanium (old) 15 inch pb, anyone have that can tell me what to do?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Somone told me there is a way to use apple online support to scan your computer and tell you the specs...dunno how true that is anyone know? or know any way to download apple system profiler for os x?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Somone told me there is a way to use apple online support to scan your computer and tell you the specs...dunno how true that is anyone know? or know any way to download apple system profiler for os x?

A crude way of finding out is to open iDVD (from iLife '04) and if it's a Combo drive a dialogue box will appear saying you cannot burn DVDs but you can save the projects blah blah.