Used Windows for decades...ready to switch?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK....I can't believe that after only using a PC since like longer than I care to think I am seriously consider my first MAC purchase...laptop. Still torn.....Sony...Dell 700M or...on the Apple side...what is the advantage for me to go to a Powerbook instead of the IBook. Now...I don't have clue about any of this. I don't do graphics (although I do want a superdrive so video...who knows). Anyway...any help in convincing me and which should I go with...the IBook or Powerbook...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Yes, you should get the Mac. You will love that everything works, and it will also be something new for you. The Sony notebook would probably be a nice machine, but it would be the same Windows (I'm assuming not linux) that you've been with for years. Why not enjoy something new and exciting? With a Mac, you can enjoy new hardware, a new operating system, and new applications.

The iBook and the Powerbook are both capable machines. The Powerbook certainly has some advantages. First, what size LCD would you like? The Powerbook 15 and 17 inch screens will give you resolutions above 1024x768. Furthermore, ANY Powerbook (including the 12 inch) can mirror or extend the desktop with an external monitor. You can't do that without a hack on the iBook. Furthermore, any Powerbook allows you to use it in clamshell mode, and the Powerbook allows you to have an external monitor at resolutions above 1024x768. On an iBook, the external monitor, if you choose to ever use one, must be at 1024x768 or below.

If you want a Superdrive, you'd have to get the 14" iBook. Superdrive is not offered on the 12" iBook. However, the Superdrive is available on any size Powerbook. The Powerbook also has slightly faster memory, a faster system bus, etc.

Nevertheless, the iBook is a capable machine in its own right. I purchased an iBook in July, and I continue to enjoy it. The 1GHZ G4 runs nicely on OS X with 768 MB of memory. I use Photoshop, Illustrator, and your basic iMovie. So, yes, you could use iMovie on your iBook. However, if you want to burn movies to DVD, you will need to get the 14" iBook with Superdrive option.

I do not regret buying an iBook over a Powerbook. However, if I had to do it over again I would get a Powerbook. The reason is not that the iBook has performed poorly, far from it. The reason is that I love the iBook, but because I do enjoy it so much, I wish I had some of the features that I would have had on the 12" Powerbook. The Superdrive would have been fantastic, and I would love to be able to work the notebook in clamshell mode, without a hack, at a resolution above 1024x768.

You must simply look at the features between the iBook and the Powerbook, when you make your decision. I wish you luck, and I really hope you give the world of Macs and OS X a try. You will likely be impressed!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Wow. Thanks. It IS the 12" that I am looking at. And...you are right...why not. What does claimshell mode mean?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    i HATED apple up until two years ago, have been firmly implanted in the windows os since my mom worked tech support for windows 95! for almost six months i started researching macs more because i was getting sick of the crashing and the spyware. i started to fall in love with the gui of osx and followed this forum and what was going on with apple until i finally made the plunge! i got an emac, the low end, and im 100 times happier with apples low end compared to a high end pc.

it's bizarre, i would have never pictured myself becoming such a mac zealot. ive switched 3 people, i will switch my dad when his 7 yr old p3 goes (must be sometime soon!) and my uncle is looking for a computer. so, im going to get either a powerbook or an imac and sell my emac to my uncle. trust me, i know how it feels to be wondering how you ever got to the point of switching. weird eh!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I am a recent convert. Used a PC way back since AT, XT, pc jr and some other crazy stuff.

I bought an iMac G5 in November. I am ready to trash all my pc's, I have several at home. I can do so much more in less time and with no aggravation compared to my stupid PC's.

I have a Dell M60 notebook computer which is really nice. I have to run AutoCad for work purposes, so I am stuck with a pc notebook for the present. Unless you run a piece of software you cannot do without, I make my living on AC, I would buy the powerbook. It only cost a little more to go first class. Extra features in the powerbooks make using a computer a pleasant experience, not a chore.

Eric

iMac G5
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jacksonws

Wow. Thanks. It IS the 12" that I am looking at. And...you are right...why not. What does claimshell mode mean?

Clamshell is when you're using the PB with an external monitor. It refers to the fact that the machine can be in use while closed like a clam (sleep's deactivated).

--B
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I've thought about it all day and.....I'm gonna (start) converting. I've settled on the 12" Powerbook but I've been told that if you don't know the difference between the 12" Powerbook and the 12" iBook that you should go with the iBook but....we'll see what page I'm on when I end up hitting "BUY"....